Correct steps in controlling pavement ants

Old 06-12-06, 05:49 PM
N
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Smile Correct steps in controlling pavement ants

This is the 2nd year I've had a problem with pavement ants. Mostly they are outside and I have just let them be but this is the 2nd year they've come into the house so now I want to control them more outside.

Just wanted to make sure these were the correct steps:

--Put out liquid ant baits inside until no more ants are seen

--Fill in cracks allowing the ants to enter into the house (this I have already identified, it's right on my front steps, there is a gap between the wooden kick plate and the house siding, saw them going in and out)

--Put down a perimiter granule/dust.

It has been 24 hours since I put out the bait, last night I saw about 100 or so ants inside at the bait, right now I'm down to a handful. Still alot of activity on the bait outside on my front steps but not inside.

If I know how they are getting in should I seal up that crevice now? I also have a crevice spray that I'll spray in there on the inside and outside of the house and then seal up the outside.

Also today I noticed 2 areas in the lawn where there were hundreds of pavement ants swarming, you look down and just see something black about the diameter of a softball moving, the ants to me look like they are angry...does anyone know what this means...usually I just spray it, then no more moving softball

Old 06-13-06, 09:42 AM
T
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Locating pavement ant colonies can be challenging. They tend to forage more at night. It is possible to follow them back to colonies. Inspect indoors and out. Powdered insecticides can be puffed into wall voids and other areas that can not be reached. Drench outdoor beds. Because not all chemicals are available in all areas, your local Dept. of Agriculture Extension Agent can make recommendations for insecticides. Baits tend to be effective for both inside and out because they get carried back to the colony.

Address moisture issues around the house as colonies tend to be found near sources of water. They can move through your structure along plumbing and electrical wires. Practice good sanitation, and eliminate food sources both indoors and out such as pet food. Seal all entry ways into the home to keep out insect pests.

Although pavement ants can 'swarm' any time of year, they are usually most noticeable in the spring when mating begins. (This is not an expression of angry ants.) Infestations usually occur in summer. Pavement ants will forage inside heated structures year round. With baits, good sanitation, exclusion, and persistence, pavement ants can be controlled.

Old 06-13-06, 10:36 AM
N
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
This morning there were only a couple of ants at the trap so I sealed the entrance from the outside and put down terro granules outside the perimeter of the foundation. We have a slate walkway and I lifted a couple of slates to find tons of ants and white larvae...also I killed two ants that I hope were the queens, they had wings.

I'm assuming they are always going to be underneath the walkway, is it ok to just leave those ants alone and just concentrate on any that are near the house?

Old 06-13-06, 10:41 AM
T
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Treat every area where you discover ants. Terro bait is excellent and will get carried back to colony. Without elimination of colonies in the landscape, ants can find their way back into your structure. Continue battle agains pavement ants until you have them under control. A regular perimeter residual insecticide treatment of foundation and surrounding area tends to keep most insect pests at bay.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: