Fake cat with real cat scent to keep away mice?

Old 06-17-06, 06:20 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Fake cat with real cat scent to keep away mice?

I don't know if there is such a thing, but it could be effective.

I used to have 3 cats. They have all been dead now for about 4 or 5 years. I live near where there are fields and field mice. Others have had mice. Not me. Not a one. No droppings. No food being eatin. Nothing. Not until 3 days ago! The first mouse trespassed into my abode. I spotted it while working on bills at the kitchen table, out of the corner of my eye, scampering for cover. Then the next night, it scampered between my tv and stereo while I was watching tv.

I got rid of the mouse, I think, for gd, by putting away all food and wiping out the sinks dry every night. I had a leak under the sink and was catching water in a pan (and to think that I do plumbing )and there was a slew of droppings next to the pan that had some standing water in it. So I added bleach to it. The next day, no more droppings.

Then I thought how the residual odor from cat hair, dander or ? from those cats must have kept the mice at bay for all these years. And that is how I came up with the idea of having a fake cat and maybe taking it over to some neighbors and periodically rubbing it on their real cats.

Old 06-17-06, 06:26 PM
I JUST thought of something. Maybe I could simply ask the neighbors if I can cut hair off their cats and take some home and lay it by some places where I think they may be getting in! I wonder if anyone has heard of something like this works. I really don't want to use bait to ATTRACT them. I find the better solution is in keeping them away.

Naturally, if you no longer have mice, and simply experiment, you really can't scientifically lay claim to a cure when you don't know why the mice haven't reappeared.

This sort of science is akin to the science that needs to prove if those little horns that you mount on the bumper of cars to scare away deer, really work. Just because you haven't seen or hit a deer doesn't mean they work. But such devices can be proven to work or not, scientifically.

Old 06-17-06, 06:48 PM
M
This might really be a bit far fetched, but, how about just getting another cat?

Old 06-17-06, 08:02 PM
nap
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
You must have really wimpy mice. The mice in our house don;t seem to mind the cats at all. Every once in awhile I think I hear them teasing the cats. I suspect they are trying to lure them into a trap.

Heck, today i had a mouse that climbed up on my computer desk and walked not more than 10 inches from my hands as I typed. I think I heard him chuckle too.
I got back at him though. I went out and got my leather gloves and the next time by,,,,,,,,,snatched him right up.

He now lives back in the field. It was a short flight but probably exhilirating for him to fly at 30 feet altitude though.

Old 06-18-06, 03:31 PM
T
The best mouse control is exclusion. A mouse can slip through an opening as small as 1/4". Seal all entries in foundation, around doors, and windows, around where pipes and wires enter structure. Seal around pipes under sinks. Set traps where you see droppings.

Old 06-18-06, 05:53 PM
Originally Posted by mdtaylor
This might really be a bit far fetched, but, how about just getting another cat?
Well..I've actually thought of that. I enjoyed their company, but vacuuming up all the cat hair was quite the job. I even vacuumed the cats. I could get a cat that doesn't shed I suppose... but I don't like those skinny, slinky, sneaky cats. And I am tired of having things die on me after I get used to them.

Old 06-18-06, 06:02 PM
Originally Posted by nap
You must have really wimpy mice. The mice in our house don;t seem to mind the cats at all. Every once in awhile I think I hear them teasing the cats. I suspect they are trying to lure them into a trap.

Heck, today i had a mouse that climbed up on my computer desk and walked not more than 10 inches from my hands as I typed. I think I heard him chuckle too.
I got back at him though. I went out and got my leather gloves and the next time by,,,,,,,,,snatched him right up.

He now lives back in the field. It was a short flight but probably exhilirating for him to fly at 30 feet altitude though.
At first I was going ask if this is really true. But then I got thinking about Tom & Jerry cartoons and other cat-mouse carton shows. I guess you have a point. Mice MUST come in proximity of cats...otherwise how would they have come up with those cartoon shows? Hmmmm. Now I don't know what to think. Maybe it's because I have always kept such a clean house and have never let cracker crumbs lay around too long nor have I kept out bags of bread, crackers, rice, etc. outside of the refrig or upper cabinets. Hmmmmm.

As far as the mouse on your computer goes....wow, tame feller, eh? Or balls of steel. Or just dumb. Do you live in some inner city area or near a big field? That must be something to have mice around that nervy. You might be sleeping some night and it might walk on your face or something. I'd be afraid I'd be sleeping, breathing in, and some mouse would try to enter my mouth. Seriously. Up here, a bat flew in a joggers mouth when he ran past a bush. I'm not kidding.

Old 06-18-06, 06:06 PM
Originally Posted by twelvepole
The best mouse control is exclusion. A mouse can slip through an opening as small as 1/4". Seal all entries in foundation, around doors, and windows, around where pipes and wires enter structure. Seal around pipes under sinks. Set traps where you see droppings.
Sealing every 1/4 inch hole where I live would be very difficult. I don't really want to get into all the details, but it just would be. It be easier for me to set poison at all the entry points, if it came to that. I'm kind of lazy when it comes to doing niggly repairs where I live. I live alone and have no wife to have me do honey-do work. And after I work hard all day, I come home and take it easy and do the same on the weekends. That's why I'm posting here, this Sunday, as oposed to fixing the drain pipe and sealing for mice. But I did mow today, out in the heat.

Old 06-19-06, 08:22 PM
nap
The story was true. I live in the middle of a big field. Plenty of mice. I don;t usually have a problem until winter when it gets cold.

The mouse on the computer: don;t know where he came in at but he apparently got lost in his travels. He would sit under tha back of my monitor. I could hardly get him to move even when I poked at him with a pen.

I don't know if a mouse has ever cruised across my face but I'm sure you have heard that story that everybody eats 5 or so spiders (can't remember if it is per year or in your lifetime). Who knows, but like they say; what you don't know won't hurt you.

Have you ever read the department of Health regulations on what is allowed in foods? If you have a weak stomach, you'll never eat again.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: