Some sort of pest in the toilet and sink of powder room only

Old 06-19-06, 10:08 PM
U
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Some sort of pest in the toilet and sink of powder room only

Hi,

Every morning, in the downstairs powder room toilet and sometimes sink, I see really small grey, mite looking pests. I know its difficult to diagnose without pictures(they are so small, it'll be impossible to get a good picture) but they do have the ability to jump. I've also found a spider in the toilet(that was only once)

Does anyone have any suggestions how to remedy the situation?

Thanks in advance
Ming

Old 06-20-06, 04:58 PM
P
unknown visitors

yeah it will be hard without a picture. Use a magnify glass to see what it migth be. Try to put something (suranwrap) over the sink and toilet for a few days to see if its comeing from below, pull the plunger in the sink to stop it up. Baby spiders look like mites and can also jump. Keep me updated. What region do live in ?

Old 06-22-06, 01:48 PM
U
Hi Pauly

I love in Central North Carolina...

I'll try to take a picture, though, even with my SD600 I'm not sure if I can get one clear enough zoomed in

Thanks,
Ming

Old 06-28-06, 03:34 PM
Without a picture you won't get a 100% positive ID, but, if I were to guess, I would think it may be Springtails. They tend to breed in areas of high moisture and that is the best way to get rid of them. Clean and keep bath carpetting dry, especially underneath. Check on the exterior for areas of moisture. Do you have a patio with floormats on the concrete? Maybe your yard is high in moisture which may be the initial source.
But, I may be completely wrong, which a visual ID would be the best way to start.

Old 06-28-06, 04:43 PM
T
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
As indicated, springtails do jump. They are wingless, hump-backed insects that prefer to breed in moist areas where they can feed on fungus, mold, and decaying organic matter. Springtails are often found in soil of potted plants. A houseplant insecticide can be used to spray plants and soil. Clean flower pot saucers and let soil dry out. They can infest toilet bowl and tanks, wet insulation, drains, moist basements and damp walls. With some investigation you should be able to locate their source and make corrections to eliminate them.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: