to exterminate or not to exterminate...

Old 06-29-06, 10:01 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
to exterminate or not to exterminate...

I have no "trim" in my house right now - not along the floor or around the doors/windows. And, I see a lot of bugs in my house - spiders, beetle-like things, some bug that likes to jump and land on its back(?!), earwigs, even a (dead, but still) wasp... My question is this: would calling an exterminator at this point do any good, seeing as there aren't any moldings up? Or, maybe it would be better to call one now, since they could really spray into the walls? I really am not the type of person who enjoys all these bugs - and I am a really clean person, too (I'm just saying I don't think it's my 'housekeeping' that's contributing to the problem). After a particularly nasty bite a few weeks ago (I'm guessing spider), I was even considering sleeping in my tent in the middle of my bedroom floor. Any help/opinions/suggestions to resolve this issue would be greatly appreciated. And, before you say it, the moldings are coming soon (I hope). Thanks.

Old 06-29-06, 10:14 PM
B
one more thing...

sorry... before anyone asks if i'm just sitting on my couch keeping my feet off the floor, i did bomb the house (couldn't take it anymore), but it only seemed to help for about 1 week and I do use the Home Defense stuff often, but I'm really tired of the situation and would like something more permanent (besides the moldings)... thanks again

Old 06-30-06, 07:53 AM
First off I am not a pest expert, but here are my thoughts.

Putting up moulding won't stop the bugs. If they are already made it through the exterior of your home, they will just find another way to get into your living space if you put up moulding. There are many holes for heating, outlets, lights, etc, for them to get into the living space.

The real solution should be to seal the areas on the exterior where they are getting into the home. Also, the exterminator should apply pesticide on the outside around the base of the house. I don't see how having your moulding installed would have any impact on when to call the exterminator.

Old 07-01-06, 08:02 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,182 Upvotes on 1,140 Posts
I agree, I would get the exterminator out now and start looking for all the ways the bugs are getting in and sealing them up. Depending on the critter, spraying outside to kill them before they get in can also be very effective, as kchinth suggested.

Old 07-02-06, 11:12 AM
B
thanks for your help... i'll call and start the exterior work... this house has some carpenter ant damage that has not yet been fully addressed (i guess that should be first) and we 'exposed' the chimney - which seems to be a superhighway for bugs from the crawlspace into my bedroom (from what i can tell anyway) and i'm sure there are several areas where the bugs are getting in besides... i guess i was just somehow associating the lack of trim with all the freakin bugs and thinking if i could block 'em at the last entrance point, my problem would be temporarily solved...

Old 07-05-06, 06:00 PM
T
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Exclusion is the best control for insect pests. Seal all entries into the structure. A regular perimeter residual insecticide treatment tends to keep most household insect pests at bay. A residual insecticide spray for indoors can be sprayed on a regular basis around doors and windows and on door thresholds and window sills. Spray along perimeter of rooms where baseboards should go. Spiders are carnivores and feed on other insects. Once you get you insects under control, you should see fewer spiders. Regular vacuuming and sweeping and dusting to keep down spider webs is also helpful.

Old 07-18-06, 07:22 PM
J
To exterminat or not

I don't think it matters whether or not your base boards are on or not, a lot of Company’s are getting away from base board type treatments in this day and time, Companies are treating from the outside to control pest and keep them outside.
Because you seem to have more problems inside I would suggest you have inside and out treated, one thing, who ever does the treatment, make sure they take advantage of the base boards being off and apply a dust inside the walls from the bottom where possible, if you allow them to spray do it before the base boards are installed, other than that the tent method sounds good. Lol

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: