How To Prevent Bees

Old 07-21-06, 06:45 AM
H
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How To Prevent Bees

There are a lot of Bee removal ideas in the threads. I'm painting my home and tehre were close to 100 bees in maybe 10 different nests behind my shutters. They are all dead now.

What product can I put on the back of my shutters to try to prevent nests after I put them back up?

Would somethign like Ortho's HomeDefense or DeltaDust be worth trying?

The shutters do not lay flat as I have cedar siding - also there are no opening in the shutters, the "flaps" are decorative. The bees get behind them because they do not lay flat on the home and once behinds there is a lot or room to make a nest.

The bees i had were paper wasps - too many kids stings this year so I want to try some preventive maintenance.

Old 07-21-06, 06:34 PM
B
bee prevention

habs11,

the pesticides that you have suggested as well as most others have a limited life time, so a one time application will not last forever to keep the bees out. the best way is to "engineer" a way to keep them from finding a protective place to nest, preferably something that won't be damaged by time(such as wood cuts to block access). you could possibly use a color
coordinated caulk(silicone based) to seal the exposed openings
(if you go with this method make sure that you have some small vent holes in the plastic/vinyl shudders not many, just enough to let it allow them to breath). one of the main rules of pest prevention is not to allow pests an access point, a feeding source, or a breeding point. keeping that in mind, other than the occasional rouge pest that happens in, should help in most of your pest control programs.

barry

Old 07-22-06, 06:59 AM
H
Great ideas barry. I really did not want to "seal" the shutters to the home because I will remove the shutters to repaint as needed and the breathing issue you mentioned. The front of my home gets a lot of sun and rain and I'm afraid of caulking too much and trapping in moisture if it gets in. But yes I agree your methods would be much more effective than a chemical method.

I think I'll try some liquid spray and then just be prepared to use bee spray as needed. I used 8 cans while taking the shutters down. Got up at 5:00 AM to do it one day.

PS: daughter is bugging me to insert a smile: :mask:

Old 07-22-06, 08:03 PM
B
do you want to be a test subject?

another idea would to place between the open sides of the shutters a "modified glue board" to trap said bees, and maybe break their need to re-infest your home. just a thought,

barry

Old 07-24-06, 09:27 PM
T
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The best time to deal with bees is at dusk when they are in the nest. You can use insecticide spray or puff insecticide dust behind shutters. This can be done about once a month during summer months as a preventive measure.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: