Help!!!! Rats + dirt = concrete??

Old 08-18-06, 01:20 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down Help!!!! Rats + dirt = concrete??

Hi....Really hoping someone can help.

I don't have much technical knowledge but will do my best to provide details of my problem.

My home was built in 1977. Split level. The basement is finished but there is an area under the front of the house that isn't. Not sure if this is technically a crawl space, but it is under my front room. Access is under the stairs/front entry and the area is approx 15 x 15'.

Obviously, there is a foundation surrounding this area (concrete walls approx. 3', but the central part of this area simply has a dirt floor. The floor of the front room is about 5' up (5' ceiling for crawl).

I live in the Pacific NW and lately we have had rats burrowing up from under the foundation....and they surface in this crawl space and have a direct line into the walls in the garage and basement. They are driving me crazy and making for unsettling sleep. Not to mention the rats here are 6-8" long without the tail.

My solution is to have concrete pumped into this crawl space as a way to keep them from burrowing up. All the rat control in the world won't help until their access is cut off.

Just wondering if I can do that....simply pour concrete in this area directly up to the foundation. Are there any special considerations? All of the plumbing runs along the back half of the house. House is on septic.

Thanks so much for your help!!!

Keith

Old 08-18-06, 03:47 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Keith: pumping the concrete won't solve the problem. You will have to get rid of the rats, their food, and then their habitat. There is a safe poison on the market that I have used with good success around barns, etc. It is non poisonous to pets, children, or other wildlife, such as hawks or other carrion eaters. All it does is prevent the rat from intaking water. They become comatose and die. It is systemic, so when it does its job, it remains inert for others. This will take care of the existing rats. Move anything they can eat to sealed containers. I have had to put chicken feed in 55 gallon drums with lids. They laugh at plastic containers.
Mine are under complete control, now.
BTW, welcome to the forums!!

Old 08-18-06, 06:24 PM
I went to the barn, but must have thrown out the package. I need some on hand, and will go to the orange big box tomorrow and get more and post the name.

Old 08-19-06, 09:03 AM
D
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the replies chandler.

I realize I have to get rid of the rats...I've done it before but they came back. That's the rub. Until I deal with the problem in the crawlspace, poisoning won't do much good. They will just keep coming back by burrowing under the foundation at the front of the house.

If I finish that floor they won't be able to get in from the outside anymore, and then when I kill the little bast***s off they will be done.

Thanks for looking for the name of that stuff...I appreciate it.

Now....how about the floor? What would you do?

Old 09-16-06, 01:32 PM
I hate to drag up an old post, but it may be beneficial to others. The stuff I used is called Safe+Kill by United Industries out of St. Louis. I found more today at our local grocery store. Contents include corn, molasses and corn cob. Really!! No poisons. The dusty corn cob prevents the rat from absorbing enough water to survive, they beome lethargic, lapse into a coma and die. No danger to children, pets (except to rat cousins like hamsters), nor to secondary wildlife like hawks.
Sorry for the late comeback.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: