Hordes of flying ants every May what can I do

Old 06-17-07, 12:49 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Hordes of flying ants every May what can I do

Every May we have masses,huge columns of flying ants emerging together with smaller ordinary ants.this goes on for about five days.I have tried everything to combat them i.e Nippon ,talcum powder,borax,ammonia,woodworm killer,spirits of salts,and bleach.While the liquids like bleach,windolene spray,kill them,it doesn't stop their reappearance next year.
I have dug up the floor but can't find a nest ,if I treat one area they simply go round it.
My main concern is the ammount of debris they leave ,something like 1-2" of what look like chipboard dust on the floor under the kitchen cabinets,they must be eating something to produce this ammount.
Does anyone have any ideas?

Old 06-18-07, 05:14 AM
T
Both carpenter ants and termites swarm about the same time. Both tend to be attracted to areas where there are moisture issues. Sounds like you have infestation and need to call an exterminator.

Old 07-05-07, 08:26 PM
O
All ants swarm during their mating season if their colonies are large enough
Not all ants nest in the ground, in fact relatively few do
Next year try treating about starting a month before treating now will do no good because they are dying anyway

if you think that it is a carpenter ant problem go out at night and try to find a column they are most active at midnight

Old 07-24-07, 10:07 AM
L
You may want to look into the idea of termites as well. They also have swarms when the colony expands. They are subterranian so you wont find a nest. They like anything moist and dark. Look for tubular dirt trails in your basement or lower foundation.

Best to have the pros take care of it
Ron

Old 07-25-07, 07:23 AM
O
I didn't notice this incoherent sentence before
"Next year try treating about starting a month before treating now will do no good because they are dying anyway"

Try it this way

Next year treat about a month before they start swarming
Treating now will do no good, pros or not

Termites are easily distinguishable, they have two body parts ants have three

If the ants seem to be under the cabinets treat that area with a pyrethrin duct to kill any foragers or soldiers.
The swarmers are doing no damage, they have other things on their minds

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: