Tons of bees hovering in grass

Old 08-09-07, 04:40 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Tons of bees hovering in grass

The last week or so, I've had a lot of yellowpackets hovering (within 6") and crawling in the grass in my side yard. They don't seem to be in a particular area except the side yard.. (1/5 acre or so).

They aren't being aggressive and appear to be gathering something or searching for something. There are no flowers in the area (only grass). One day they are in the front, the next closer to the back.

I've searched for a nest and can't see to find any pattern to their wanderings.

Any ideas??

thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 08-09-07, 05:04 PM
T
Are the bees black and yellow and have a thin waist? If you can not locate a nest in the ground, look elsewhere--landscape timbers, fence posts, in the side of your home. If you can locate the nest, you can treat opening with Drione, Delta, or Sevin Dust. This must be at night when they are in the nest. As they exit in the morning, they will encounter the poison. There are also pyrethrum aerosols for spraying into nest openings. The pyrethrum turns into a gas that will fill the chamber.

Some mistake hover flies for yellow jackets. They hatch from grubs in the ground and hover over the lawn. See pictures: http://crawford.tardigrade.net/bugs/BugofMonth14.html If you have hover flies, apply granular insecticide to lawn to eliminate them.

Old 09-03-07, 03:54 PM
N
Hi SHW,

Were you able to id your flying insects? Are they hover flies with just one set of wings?

Newt