Possible squirrel in attic?

Old 02-08-08, 06:18 AM
K
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Possible squirrel in attic?

The other day, my wife heard a crunching noise from the roof, went outside and saw a very guilty looking squirrel on our attic vent, it had chewed some of the wood on the outside of the vent. Later that day, I went up to the attic and found that the screen inside the vent had NOT been disturbed, so a reasonable assumption was that my wife scared it off before it got in.

I bought some hardware mesh and some deer-off and went to put it over the attic vent. However, when I got up there, I found some roofing beams near the vent (under the insulation) looked like they had been chewed. I lifted up insulation, searched inside and out and could find NO other signs of an entry way or occupation. So I nailed up the mesh and sprayed the deer off.

I listened this morning for about a half hour and heard no activity from the attic. My working hypothesis is that the chewed wood was old damage from when past owners lived there and I have (for now) successfully prevented the squirrels from returning. Is this a reasonable assumption or am I being naive?

I have a havahart trap at work that I can set up in the attic just to see what happens, but I don't know if that would be inviting trouble if there is in fact NOT a squirrel up there.

Thoughts?

(btw- can squirrels gain roof access from a small phone line? Or can they simply climb up wood siding? Most of my trees are not THAT close to the house.)

Old 02-08-08, 06:43 AM
T
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Squirrels can can access via wires that are attached to your home. Tree limbs need to be cut back 10 or more feet because squirrels jump. Inspect attic for signs of infestation and trap to remove. Continue to inspect and seal potential exterior entries.

Old 02-08-08, 07:50 AM
K
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
So should I set the trap out "just in case"? Or should I wait to confirm there is a squirrel up there first.

Also, if the y can get on your roof by wires, what is the necessity to trim branches so far away from the house?

Old 02-09-08, 01:34 PM
T
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Confirm there is a squirrel in attic before setting trap. Look for droppings and stored food--nuts, pine cones, etc. Most squirrels access roof via jumping from tree branches, thus cutting back is a good control measure.

To prevent squirrels from traveling on wires, install 2-foot sections of lightweight 2- to 3-inch- diameter plastic pipe. Slit the pipe lengthwise, spread it open, and place over the wire. The pipe will rotate on the wire, making it difficult for squirrels to use as a travel route. Or, you can purchase Critter Guard. See http://www.critterguard.org/homeowners.htm

If a mama squirrel is sealed out of attic, she will find a way to get back in to babies. Babies are usually born between March and May.

Old 02-15-08, 04:13 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 11 Upvotes on 10 Posts
Get the squirrels out before you close it up. You may find success in scattering mothballs out in the attic to run them off. Then seal it up. Squirrels don't like naptha.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: