Something in the under cabinet range hood

Old 04-15-08, 05:02 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Something in the under cabinet range hood

I don't know what it is, I'm scared to find out!

Sounds like it could be a lizard or something of that size (hopefully).

I opened the cabinet above the range hood...nothing.

I've used the fan and lights on the range hood b/c I was cooking.

Whatever it is up there is not dead yet.

It's been about 2 weeks since I've heard it. Just sounds like it's trying to get out every once in a while.

If I bang on the cabinet or the range hood, it stays still and will not make a sound. However, it seems to move around when I sing or if there's music. Or...it could just be me

What should I do? I don't want to freak myself out and have a heart attack, but I don't think I should wait for the noise to go away or for it to die.

Old 04-15-08, 06:13 PM
N
Look to see if there is a hole into the cabinet where wires might penetrate. If so, put a lit flashlight near the hole so it will come to the light.

Newt

Old 04-15-08, 06:24 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Oh, I wish you could hear me humming the "Jaws" theme song

Could it actually be something inside the exhaust duct?

Old 04-15-08, 08:10 PM
Super Moderator
Received 47 Votes on 45 Posts
There is a good chance it is the back draft damper.
This is an aluminum flap that allows air to only flow in one direction.

Old 04-15-08, 09:32 PM
N
Greg, good thinking!! If that's the case, put a light outside the damper, proping it open so it will be drawn to the light.

Newt

Old 04-16-08, 12:24 PM
D
Where's the damper?
In the cabinet above?

I'm scared..
No...I really am.

Just need to now where the damper is.

Old 04-16-08, 12:42 PM
Don't be scared...whatever is in there is scared! The duct will end with a vent. Usually, it has a baffle, so that wildlife doesn't get in. Just follow your duct until it exits the house.

I think Newt's idea of putting a light by the opening is a good one. The baffle may be closed again, so you might need to remove the vent cover or prop open the baffle.

If it was me, I'd put a camera (like for surveillance) to see what, if anything, comes out. The not knowing has GOT to be the worst part

Connie

Maybe it's a bird who was looking to build a nest.

Last edited by connie; 04-16-08 at 12:43 PM. Reason: Hopefull thought
Old 04-16-08, 01:06 PM
D
Wait, wait, wait...

so I need to start at the outside vent? I think I'm not reading right.

I've located the vent previously (not easy to get to unless I get a ladder) and the vent is completely shut and good. Not even sure if I could get it opened if need be.

So where do I need to start? I need to open the damper right? Where is it?

I'm kinda glad that whatever it is that may have gotten in must be small b/c the vent holes are very small.

Poor little fella. Man he must be hungry!

Old 04-16-08, 01:21 PM
Okay, let's start at the beginning...the hood over your range has a duct that carries the hot air away from the stove.

The duct exhausts, usually to a vent, like a dryer vent. This vent allows the air to escape from the house. Usually, this port has a baffle (or damper) that closes when the air is not exhausting from the house.

(We good so far ?)

Now, are you saying that you have no port? That your duct simply exhausts at the soffit vent? Because that is common in some locations...code just states that the air has to exhaust to the soffit- not that it has to have a dedicated port.

SO, if you have no exhaust port with baffle, something may have gotten into the attic. You may hear the sound because the duct goes through the attic..

How's that?

Old 04-16-08, 01:34 PM
I went looking for a picture for you, but couldn't find one in a quick search. It does appear a kitchen exhaust fan may have an additional baffle, to prevent fire from traveling through the duct.

That won't change anything in your "critter search", though.

I don't know if this is possible, but if the critter is actually in the duct, as opposed to in the attic, maybe you can get one of those brushes, designed to clean those ducts and ream it out.

There definitely are companies that clean ducts if you decide that's needed.

I'm heading out now, but will check back tonight- maybe someone else will have another idea, at any rate.

Connie

Old 04-16-08, 01:46 PM
D
That's perfect

My problem is that I've only gotten far as to seeing the vent outside and the duct, or silver, aluminum shiny thing in the above cabinet. As far as what goes where, I'm not sure. I didn't really look closely yet. I'll do that when I get home or get a chance to.

I wouldn't doubt something got in attic. That's another story about me going into the attic. I haven't gone in there since I've moved in

Thanks a bunch. I'll do what I can in the meanwhile when I get my nerves to even be near the thing.

Old 04-16-08, 05:49 PM
Super Moderator
Uh, no.......hold on thar for a minute!

When I said was that "IT" was a back draft damper I meant "IT" could be creating the noise.
A back draft damper is a metal flap that swings outward when the fan is blowing to let the exhaust air out.
When the fan is shut off the flap drops down closing the opening preventing air and bugs from entering your house.

It is highly unlikely that you will have a fire damper.
They are normally required on commercial installations.

Try this.
Make sure all the doors and windows on your house are closed.
Stand by the exhaust fan and get someone to open and close a door wide and quickly a few times and see if you can hear the damper.

This is a round one, yours will likely be rectangular and be located right at the fan unit or the outlet grill.

Image courtesy westidewholesale.com

Old 04-16-08, 06:04 PM
D
Ohhhhhh....

Hmmm...

I'll do that too but I highly doubt IT's making the noise. Possible by all means though.

I haven't heard IT in 3 years!

Thanks for the pic!

Old 04-16-08, 06:47 PM
nap
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Not sure what greg is implying here DIYaddict. We all read the thing makes noise when you sing and he is suggesting the backdraft damper is banging. I guess that must mean greg thinks you are a blow hard

Youhave to wonder though why it makes noise when you sing. Do dogs howl when you sing?

actually, I think the noise is a

JUST KIDDING.

Do you have an attic? Do yo have squirrels in your area or maybe racoons? They often like attic spaces and if they are nesting by the duct that goes outside, you would easily hear them scratching or moving around.

Old 04-16-08, 06:47 PM
Good picture, Greg...that's definitely an aid to my long winded description.

I think it was a commercial exhaust I was looking at that said it had some sort of "fire stop baffle" to prevent flames from being sucked into the vent.

Anyway,OP, somewhere I read you have a family member who would make a good candidate for attic exploration If Greg's test yields results, great! But if not, I think someone should go exploring up there.

Squirrels are the worst for gaining access, but a bird is still the most likely candidate this time of year.

Connie

Old 04-16-08, 07:05 PM
nap
Nah, it's time for baby squirrels and baby racoons. If mom planted herself near the vent duct because the duct is always allowing warmth to exhaust outside so it keeps her warm, if she had some little ones, they should be big enough to start making some noise all of their own.

WARNING: if you do have racoons in the area, be very careful. Ma 'coons are very protective and being cornered in an attic near her cubs can be a dangerous situation and if you cook them right, they are supposed to be pretty good.

Old 04-16-08, 07:28 PM
OMG! Nap! That picture will scare DIY Addict to death! It sure did me!

Old 04-16-08, 09:27 PM
nap
we have bats around our house. They actually are pretty common and do not bother anybody.

We used to feed them with fruit by tossing it up in the air and they would catch it.

every once in awhile, we would toss up a small stone. You would hear a thunk and the bat would go away for a little while. I know, we were mean but we were kids.

Old 04-16-08, 11:20 PM
N
I've been gone all day with animal rescue and I'm just getting around to my 'puter chores. Gosh, this has taken on a life of it's own. I'm beginning to to agree with the others that think there is a critter in the attic.

Now, who can we get to go into the attic?

Newt

Old 04-17-08, 03:57 AM
I'm always pleased to see bats in the yard, because they eat thousands of insects...I've even installed bat houses (which have been ignored) but I have to confess, I've never faced one up close with a face like that picture! I still think they're a great idea outside, but I'm afraid I'd find myself less than merciful if that's what's in the attic

So, Newt's question is the number one for the day...who's going to investigate? And I've lost track now, but did DIY say the noise is only in the evening while cooking (and singing)?

Old 04-17-08, 09:26 AM
D
LOL! You guys crack me up. And thanks nap...I almost wet my pants.

I give. I'll do it. I have no choice right? Im pretty busy lately and seriously have no time to do it until after 9pm which I won't do b/c I'm half asleep or sleeping at the time. Yippee for me. Anyway, I bet you guys are more curious now as to what that noise is as I am. I hope to find some weird creature in there and take a pic of it for you all.

In the meantime...bats?...squirrel?...racoon? Hmmm...in CA? Maybe in the hills, mountains, or cave but I've yet to see any of that hanging around where I live. Which, BTW...I said it sounded like a lizard. A TINY lizard...well...maybe a med. sized one. Anywho...there's no way it could be either of those but I guess all is possible.

Yes...it usually just makes noises flip flopping around or scrambling trying to get somewhere but can't when I sing or it hears music. At least it was done on several occasions-so I noticed. Still...it could just be me. I do believe it does it during the day and night time.

BTW: I don't cook very often (whoo hoo!) so it's not as if I hear or notice it every day.

I'll keep you guys posted whenever I find something, even if it's dead.

Old 04-20-08, 05:28 AM
I am waiting (not so patiently ) to discover what has been living up there. I think you are waiting for the critter to expire of natural causes.

I think today is the day! Don your protective gear. (I envision you in a mask like fencers wear, a raincoat and gloves!...Oh, and a hat!) So, now you will be safe from whatever lurks above your head!

Take your cell phone, in case the beast traps you in a corner, instead of you trapping the beast! Also, that all important, multi-use weapon...the BROOM! You can deal with most any threat if you have a good, solid broom.

Connie

Old 04-20-08, 07:52 AM
nap
the cellphone is a good idea. Hopefully nothing happens but if you got stuck (like falling through the ceiling and good not get free), the cellphone would be good.

the rest.... yes, definately adn we want pictures.

lots of pictures.

Old 04-20-08, 10:11 AM
E
In a commercial business I was maintenance man for up til about 5 years ago, we had a large kitchen basement restaurant cooking exhaust duct that went about 50 feet to the roof where the huge jet engine-like motor and blades were.

Well, these dumb pigeons would roost in that jet engine, protected from elements, and take that one fatal step backwards and slide down to their deaths, the stupid things - but a couple survived the plunge, and would be flopping around above the cookstoves in the screened vent! I let them die with the others, and THEN got them out.

The restaurant was not being run at that particular time, and the basement was vacant, so I could do that, luckily for me. I'd be darned if I was about to be chasing some live escaped pigeon around the catacombs of that subterannean New York style commercial basement! I got out 9 dead ones.

You could have a similar scenario that happened with something else. They checked in, but have no way of checking back out.

Old 04-21-08, 12:08 PM
N
Originally Posted by ecman51` View Post

Well, these dumb pigeons would roost in that jet engine, protected from elements, and take that one fatal step backwards and slide down to their deaths, the stupid things - but a couple survived the plunge, and would be flopping around above the cookstoves in the screened vent! I let them die with the others, and THEN got them out.

I'd be darned if I was about to be chasing some live escaped pigeon around the catacombs of that subterannean New York style commercial basement! I got out 9 dead ones.
They checked in, but have no way of checking back out.
Ecman, if a situation like that happens again, it's best to put a flashlight or other light source at one end and birds will go towards the light source. I don't know the structure of the site you describe, but hopefully that could be a solution the next time.

Newt

Old 04-21-08, 03:30 PM
DIY Addict....(I wish there was an icon for musical notes...you would see me singing your name! )

Have you not yet collected a head to mount as a trophy on your family room wall?

Old 04-21-08, 03:44 PM
D
ok...ok...ok.

I heard ya singing

I checked under the vent thingy (where the air sucks up while cooking) and opened the cabinet above, peeped my head in..and I see nothing. That was just a quicky looky loo before the weekend.

I haven't heard a thing since and I'm afraid that whatever it may be or have been is gone or dead.

I know...I know....I need to get in there. *sigh*

Old 04-22-08, 10:55 AM
D
Found it/still need help!

K guys...I found it!

So I got a little worried b/c I haven't heard anything so I dug into it here (b/c that's where I heard it):

See the red arrow? I saw some tiny claws! I got closer and found:

A tail too!
*sigh*
It's dead. Didn't move. It got stuck under the damper thing? Whatever it's called. It opens and closes when the fan goes on? Like Greg's pic?

Anyway, now my problem is how do I get the sucker out????!!!! It stuck on the damper! When the damper opens it opens the wrong way-the way I don't want it to go b/c the lizard is right there. It will not fall out. I think I have to get it open and or remove the range hood and get out from the top (inside the cabinet).

Unless...it's ok to leave it dead in there?

Poor little guy...

Old 04-22-08, 02:17 PM
Super Moderator
Hooray!

It looks like:

Nap, you were right.

It has to come out because it may stink and will prevent your damper from opening.

If you shut off the power to the fan the whole fan unit should be held up to the cabinet by four screws.
Drop the fan and you will be able to get at the critter.

Make sure you use gloves to handle it and post some pics so we could try to ID it for you.

Old 04-22-08, 02:43 PM
D
You guys are trying to give me a heart attack aren't you!!!!!

Has to be a lizard. I know you can't tell from the pic but the claws or...should I say feet are green. It's much smaller than it might look in the pic.

Actually, the damper opens. This probably shouldn't have been done, but I turned it on while it was opened!...I wanted to see if he'd just fall out or something or if I could get my fingers in there while the fan was going and the damper open. j/k

It's just a lizard. Don't they just shrivle up?

Ok..ok...I know I have to get it off and out. I just dread it b/c although I've put that darn range hood up, I can't remember how in the world I did it! I do recall getting stuck at 4am holding it up there while trying to put it up and yelling to my son clear across the house to help me, but he was dead asleep. Just didn't want that to happen again. I strained my back! Don't know WHY on earth I was positioned that way but I know never to do it again!

I'll get it off and take pics for ya all.

Old 04-22-08, 03:26 PM
Super Moderator
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
I believe you have an example of the dreaded
"free range(hood) singing lizard". Boy are you in trouble, they're Federally protected! I'll have to report this to the proper authorities......

Old 04-22-08, 03:52 PM
D

dOH! Did I say it was dead? Nah...it's probably just stuck.

Sure explains a little about lizards though right?

I can remember being outside and spotting one. Everytime you make a noise or stomp your foot, it would freeze up and not move. Maybe that lizard's tail I have in the pic fell off of him to scare me away?

Not sure about his foot there though. Never heard of them releasing their foot!

Old 04-22-08, 05:08 PM
Maybe when you turned on the fan you whacked it off!

It's OK. collateral damage.

You are a mighty warrior! You have conquered your fears and captured the adversary. People will write songs of praise about you! Books will be written, children will be told!

You can add great details to your resume'

Connie

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: