eliminating digger wasps

Old 04-24-08, 06:50 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
eliminating digger wasps

I saw for the first time in the 23 years of living in my house, a swarm of flying what I thought was hornets or bees. There were what looked like ant holes and my neighbor told me they were digger wasps. I have been finding different information on the internet on how to eliminate them. Some of the information sounds complicated and time consuming and others, simple. I have no pets so I may be able to use products that pet owners cannot. One mentioned a spray powder, another kerosene. I happen to have kerosene that I would like to use. I would appreciate any information, in detail if appropriate, that you have. I read that eliminating these wasps should be done immediately or they multiply.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Karen

Old 04-24-08, 08:26 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
First confirm that you have digger wasps. The 3/4" long digger wasp is seen flying over the lawn in the day time looking for grubs. Because they kill grubs, they are considered to be beneficial. The digger finds a grub, paralyzes it, digs a hole in the soil, and lays an egg on the grub. When the egg hatches and larva emerges, it feeds on the grub. Digger wasps usually do not attack people. Homeowners can go about their business of mowing and yardwork, and the diggers seem oblivious because they are too busy looking for grubs. Diggers usually do not need a control.

Never, never use kerosene for anything other than for which it was attended. Never pour pollutants into the soil. Think of the water table! Kerosene will kill grass.

If you want to do anything, treat your lawn for grubs. Eliminate the food source. There are many pests that love to feed on grubs in the lawn--moles, skunks, raccoons, and more. Dead patches in lawn are often a sign of grub damage to turf. There are granular insecticides available that can be applied with your spreader. Check at local garden centers. Scotts manufacturers GrubEx.

If you really want to know what is going on under your turf, cut out a one-foot square and peel it back. Look for grubs. Replace sod, tamp in place with foot to make soil contact, and water.

Photo Credit: University of Missouri Extension

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: