Mosquitos in house

Old 05-07-08, 02:30 AM
I
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Mosquitos in house

I was told they live in the bowl of the toilet....in the holes where the water comes in(under the rim) from the tank to the bowl.
Cleaning the bowl does nothing since they are living,I was told, where I can't clean. I had read,long ago,that Mouthwash with certain ingredients put in the Tank and then flushing would in time KILL them...now can't find that info.
I don't like putting "gunk" in the Tank on a regular time frame...like cleaners...and I do keep the bowl very clean.
Help anyone...what if I sat one of those 'bug bombs' down in the bowl and let it drift "up into the holes in the rim of the bowl"?

Last edited by Iammeme; 05-07-08 at 02:33 AM. Reason: added notification daily to me
Old 05-07-08, 04:07 AM
T
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Are you sure they are mosquitos? An occasional mosquito may enter the home through a door, but they do not breed indoors. Fungus gnats are mosquito-like and do breed indoors.

Photo Credit: Ohio State University Extension

Fungus gnats are often found breeding in overly wet houseplants in soil and on roots and in flower pot saucers. They can find their way to tub and sink drains, floor drains, refrigerator drip pans or other areas where there is moisture and decomposing organic material.

Allow house plants to dry out or discard. Houseplant insecticide is available for treating plant and soil. Clean and disinfect flower plant saucers and do not allow standing water. Clean drains. Sticky traps are available for flying insects. There are also aerosol spray insecticides.

With some detective work to locate the breeding ground of fungus gnats, you will be able to eliminate them. Be mindful of houseplants and practice good sanitation in drains and other damp areas.

Old 05-07-08, 10:20 AM
N
Hi Iammeme,

I suspect you have drain flies aka moth flies. They breed on decaying organic material. This site has lots of info on id and how to locate where they are coming from. In your case it's possible there is a leak under the toilet where the wax ring is. It might be worth removing the toilet and checking the area around the drain. Have a new wax ring ready to replace the old one as you will need to do that once you remove the toilet.
http://doyourownpestcontrol.com/drainflies.htm

Here's pictures for id. Look for the distinctive stripes on the wings.
Drain fly aka moth fly
http://bugguide.net/node/view/35353

Phorid fly looks alot like a mosquito and would be another good possibility. Here's a picture.
http://www.epestsupply.com/images/bugs/phoridfly140.jpg

From this site:
http://www.epestsupply.com/fly_control.htm

Phorid flies are very small - usually 1/8" or less and are easily distinguished from other small flies by the characteristic "hump back" shape of their abdomen. Also known as the "humpbacked" fly, phorid flies are usually tan to dark brown in color and have dark eyes. Easily confused with fruit flies which have red or orange eyes, phorid flies are a serious pest of food manufacturing facilities around the world. The phorid fly will often feed and breed in moist decaying matter. Like other flies, the phorid fly is a frequent visitor to unsanitary areas and often transmits disease causing germs and bacteria onto food products and sterile surfaces.

Phorid flies are also a pest of mortuaries and funeral homes and are often referred to as "coffin flies". In fact phorid fly larvae have been found in open wounds of patients in hospitals. Phorid flies go through a complete life cycle - egg, larvae, pupae and adult. The female phorid fly lays about 20 eggs at a time and will lay about 40 - 100 eggs over a 12 our period. The complete life can be completed in 14 - 37 days.

Phorid Fly Control
The basics for Phorid fly control are not unlike that for any of the other major fly species. Control only comes from finding and eliminating all sources of potential infestation. Finding the breeding areas is the difficult part, and is the most important part of a total elimination effort. Pesticides and traps only provide remedial control. The regular cleaning of floor drains is crucial in Phorid fly control. Bleach and hot water will not eliminate larvae or eggs breeding in a drain. The use [of some type of] drain gel will dissolve the organic matter where Phorid flies live. This film must be removed in order to kill and prevent flies from breeding and propagating.

If Phorid flies are found breeding in moist soil, garbage, or organic decaying matter, the only way to eliminate them is to remove the moist decaying matter. Spraying the infested areas with a pesticide will not provide control. Only proper drying and proper sanitation to these areas will provide control.
Newt

Old 05-09-08, 07:31 PM
I
To all of you who took time to reply to me..."Thanks"...perhaps it is not a mosquito after all....but it sure looks like one...of course I have only seen "it" flying and have not "caught" one to inspect exactly what it looks like...but now I really will try to do just that....
any ideas on "how" to do that since all I have been doing is knocking it out and killing it...as it flys around...as for "wet plants"...I don't have those...but now I am really interested in finding out "exactly" what "it" is...
"Thanks" again so much....I will read all of this info until it is clear to me...how to get rid of "them"...this has been quite an interesting educational journey for me...I am learning so much from all of you....again.."Thanks"

Old 05-09-08, 08:31 PM
T
Let's do a science experiment. Before you go to bed, place some clear packing tape over tub and sink drains. Let's see what gets stuck!?! Then, report back.

Old 05-10-08, 06:41 PM
I
I can't do that tonight...but...I did think,perhaps it is the "carpet cleaner machine" that I have that is at least in part responsible for the "flying whatevers",so I did put the entire machine in a huge black bag and then put one over the top of it as well. I will see what happens...I have thought about it and the "whatevers" that seem to be in my room do not "buzz" like mosquitoes do so you are probably correct in that "they" are not mosquitoes.
I will let you know what happens. Other then that machine there isn't really 'standing water' like in houseplants and the like. You will never know how much I appreciate your interest and I will let you know what happens. To cover all the drains in my house is not as easy as it sounds. I am the only 'able bodied' person here among five of us. I have handicapped children and I am a single mom. I am working on getting this under control but it will take me longer then most to accomplish that. I love this site and expect I will be here often with the problems I have around this house and not another adult who can help me do anything...to say the least,I am and do get very frustrated dealing with all the issues of keeping up with a house alone. Thanks again...I know I am on the right track with this problem and I will solve it..with your help...!!!

Old 05-10-08, 11:41 PM
N
Iammeme, you are so very welcome! I'm glad we can help. I really like Twelvepole's suggestion. Maybe you could try to put tape in just one bathroom to see if you catch anything.

Don't get discouraged. I was in a similar situation as yours. Fortunately my father knew he had a bit of a tomboy and taught me how to use tools and do some basic house repairs. With our help and what you have time to see on tv, it will all work out in the end. Besides, you came up with a great idea about the carpet cleaner machine. Hopefully that is the source. If it is, you will have to clean it out well to get rid of the organic material they are feeding on or they will multiply and move on to other places.

Newt

Old 05-10-08, 11:57 PM
T
Added to all your other responsibilities as the mama and master of a single parent household, you must become Sherlock Holmes to narrow down the source of your insect problem and its identification. If you could catch a couple and place in a sandwich bag and take to the local Cooperative Extension Agent for identification that would be helpful.

I once had drain flies from a basement drain. I learned it's important to flush those basement drains on a regular basis and to keep water in traps to prevent methane gas entering the home. So many insect larvae live in the sewers that it's easy to acquire infestation. Take note that these pests feed on decomposing organic material. Drains are a great source of that--sinks, tubs, showers, floor drains, and other areas that remain damp.

Please do keep us posted on your investigation and identification of your pest. I don't think it's mosquitos. It has to be a pest that has entered the home through drains or overly wet plants.

Old 05-14-08, 06:57 PM
I
I am still here...and actually 'caught' one in a paper cup and put another cup over the top...but..due to my other duties "it"..the 'cup' is still sitting there waiting for me..I imagine the "thing" is still there but I have not checked.
I did make it to the store...got some painter tape..so it would come off easily when I remove it...cause I have lots of places to put it...like around the bottoms of the toiltets to check the wax ring idea...and..the..drains..those used and not used..and then we do have a jetted tub..that is not used often..I did put water in it..and cleaner run with the jets on..but have not had time to do the tape...I did notice a 'small' ...one..the "thing" today...perhaps that is good news..perhaps "they" have just been 'getting busy' if you know what I mean...I plan on the tape tomorrow night but will be spending the entire day with one of my children miles from home dealing with a new wheelchair...so I may or may not have the energy to put the tape out tomorrow.....FEAR not...I will be back...as time allows and I will share results...my daughter says 'only' one sex of mosquitoes makes the buzz..either male or female...these don't...I think I can pull the cap off of the "jets" in the tub and get a clearer shot at a round hole for the tape there...I am "on this" and I will come out the winner...with all of the help I am getting from here..and you will never know how much I appreciate it..
Thanks so much....til I return with I hope positive results...

Old 05-14-08, 08:03 PM
N
We eagerly await your next 'report'. Hope you have a good day tomorrow and aren't too tired.

Newt

Old 05-16-08, 08:16 PM
I
You would be proud of me...I actually went to swat one of "them" and "it" died in my hand...so,I put it in a small ziplock bag...and it is now in a safe place ...until...I get time to inspect it and compare it to the pictures...I really think it is NOT a mosquito..it seems 'smaller'..
there have been even more of the "children" of "it" showing up...perhaps I did some damage to "its" parents..
...at least I can hope so...
I probably won't be able to report back for a few days...but I will be back with the news...I got side-tracked today with the bathroom sink backed up with water...after the couple of hours of 'many' different trys ...it finally did drain...but not til after I called the A/C guy to the tune of $150 bucks....to be told it was not his problem...although last year when it happened the A/C guy went to the attic and "blew-out" some drain and then the sinks cleared..
all of this is besides the point..except to say...there is NEVER a dull moment around here...NEVER...all I need is a football team to help me with the physical things and then perhaps I could catch-up...it is to say the least 'interesting' to be the ONLY person in a house of "four" who can raise her arms above her shoulders...and so it is these..mine..shoulders who does "IT ALL"...it can be almost too much lots of the time....anyway...I will be back with the lastest installment of the "flying it" as soon as I can...Thanks for even caring....about my small problem...

Old 05-19-08, 08:48 PM
N
I am very proud of you. I can't wait to find out what it is. When you get the time, let us know.

And get some rest!
Newt

Old 05-30-08, 04:31 PM
S
What are they?

this was a curious thread>
I hope we hear back from her! Sounds like you were all right about the drain fly theory- if the pipes were backed up.
Do plumbers do that kind of work, I wonder?
Flushing the drain pipes? (that could cost a fortune)
debbie

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: