Ant mounds in yard

Old 05-23-08, 06:08 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Ant mounds in yard

Live outside of Baltimore..

Have two fairly large (18-24” diameter) ant mounds growing in my back yard. Ants are black, mid-sized. They are a good distance from my house but under my children’s playset so need to go. What is the best way to remove/deter the ants without killing the grass. The mounds are growing (taller) but the lawn mower has been doing a good job keeping the height down.

Thanks for the assistance..

Old 05-23-08, 08:16 AM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
You need to kill the queen ant with a product like Amdro. It takes a few days but simply disturbing the existing mound will do nothing but spread them further. You may want to lightly spread the Amdro like product over the entire lawn with extra near the existing mounds.

Old 05-29-08, 04:21 AM
T
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
An ant bait like Amdro, Sevin, or other can be applied to the mounds. Ants will carry the bait into the colony where it will wipe out the ants. Reapply in the event of rain. As indicated, results will not be immediate.

Old 05-29-08, 04:36 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
When I lived in fla, I had to fight the ants I found that sprinkling the mounds with 'golden marlin fly bait' [little yellow pellets] did a good job of keeping them at bay. I bought it at the local feed store.

A cheap low tech alternative is to pour bolling water in the ant mound. It will kill most of the ants but doesn't do the grass any good.

Old 05-29-08, 08:04 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Question

a new twist! i have heard that cream of wheat spred around the hole will do it. the ants eat the stuff and can't digest it and it swells up and kills them! worth a try!!??

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: