Mouse/squirrel infestation - clean up and prevention

Old 06-30-08, 11:49 AM
H
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Mouse/squirrel infestation - clean up and prevention

My husband and I moved into a new home last week. The home was built in 1968. We removed wood paneling from the family room as we wanted to sheetrock. Behind the paneling was insulation that contained a large amount of dead mice, droppings, acorns, etc. We found more of this in the basement of the home where we removed some moldy walls. These two areas are on opposite ends of the home.

We are concerned that the entire home was infested with rodents. The home was vacant for a year prior to us purchasing it. The droppings/corpses upstairs seemed much newer than the ones in the basement.

We are also planning on re-insulating the attic as there is not much up there right now. Now we are considering having the old insulation vacuumed out before blowing in more.

Question: With the possiblity of rodent feces and corpses in all outside facing walls - does anyone know if we should remove the (asbestos containing) sheetrock, old insulation, and redo the walls? now is the time as we have no furniture in the home and are recarpeting.

Major downside - the house is 4000+ sq ft.

Old 07-02-08, 12:58 PM
N
Hi Hhaslerud,

Congratulations on your 'new' home. It sounds like you have alot of work ahead. As to the removal of the rodent feces and bodies, my concern would be the potential for disease if left in the walls. Any future renovations could expose potential problems. Please read: III. Salmonellosis at this site.
http://www.radil.missouri.edu/info/d...epag/zoon.html

Have you had a consult with one or more exterminators? You might want to condiser calling your local extension service to find out if there have been any diseases from such a situation in your area. If they don't know, they can probably refer you to the proper agency.

I also have some concerns about the asbestos sheetrock. Consider getting a test kit to find out if the concentration is high enough for cause for concern or asbestos abatement. Astestos abetement can be VERY costly.

The CDC (Centers for Disease Control) should have some helpful info about both asbestos and rodents. Click on 'Environmental Health' and go from there.
http://www.cdc.gov/

Newt

Old 07-04-08, 07:33 AM
H
Wow, thanks Newt. There is a lot of valuable information here. I have one pest control company coming out tomorrow and am in the process of finding another one for one more bid. I will call our extension service on Monday too. Since we are barely in this new home now (living in one room with walls and flooring torn out all over) now is the time to look into this stuff! I really appreciate your post. Now time to look into asbestos - I really don't want to know what I will find here...

Old 07-05-08, 03:50 PM
N
You are so very welcome! I'd love to know what you find out in the end. I just hope it won't be too costly.

Newt

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: