brown wormlike, but with legs!

Old 07-08-08, 07:47 PM
E
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
brown wormlike, but with legs!

I just bought this house and have seen a couple of these creatures ... they are about an inch or so long, dark brown in color, thin, and have tons of legs.

Then today, after its been hot, humid, and raining for a few days ... they are everywhere! Mostly in the basement in the corners (about a dozen in each bunch). They don't move very fast, so I've been able to kill the majority, but I'm sure there are more hiding out somewhere else that I haven't found yet.

I've also seen a couple of dark colored moths in the basement. They too were easy to kill ... didn't really even try to fly away.

I'm wondering if I might have the moths that eat your clothing?? Not sure why they'd be in the basement though, there are no clothes stored down there, and the carpeting that was there has been removed for a month already.

I'm going to try to snap a pic and see if I can post here.

Any ideas? If I find out they are the clothes moths and their larvae ... do I need an exterminator? Please help ...

Old 07-09-08, 12:47 PM
N
Congratulations on your new home!! Pictures would be most helpful.

Newt

Old 07-09-08, 01:56 PM
D
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Perhaps they're millipedes??? Sounds like it might be according the the info posted below.

See pic here and info about them and what they do and what they look like and...

http://www.extension.umn.edu/distrib...ng/DK1023.html

But as Newt posted...a pic would help too. Great description though!

Old 07-10-08, 02:18 PM
E
Thanks, I'm pretty sure you are right, they are millipedes! The numbers seem to be dwindling, so possibly the spray I used worked (it was ant and roach spray, but it was all I had at the time). Though it is supposed to get hot and humid again, so I'll see if they make a comeback.

As far as the moths go, I've still got a couple. I'm not sure where they are hiding, but they definitely like the dark. The second I turn on the lights, they flutter to a dark corner or underneath the furnace. If they are clothes eating moths, I wonder what they are eating in the basement? Possibly they like insulation??

Old 07-10-08, 02:38 PM
D
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Heh...not the pro around here, but I thought moths were just moths.

Moths like to be in the dark-right!
Moths like to feed on clothes-right!...they also like to feed on carpet. But you got rid of that.

Is the basement totally empty? What's in there? Is it clean? I wouldn't call for an exterminator. See if you can catch them fluttering in a certain area. If you can, you should be able to spot out what they're getting at and get rid of it...so long as it's not the insulation-but I doubt that's what it is.

Vacuum away if you haven't done so already in there.

Old 07-10-08, 03:12 PM
N
There are many types and sizes of moth. Some that are found around food are lumped together and called pantry moths. You may have one of these types. There are pheromone traps you can use to get rid of them. Take a look here.
http://www.beyondpesticides.org/info...ntry_moths.pdf

Thre are also carpet moths.
http://images.google.com/images?hl=e...-8&sa=N&tab=wi

You can google the individual moths and click on 'Images' to see what they look like.

Newt

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: