Dusting and Hand Held Duster Safety?

Old 07-12-08, 11:20 AM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Dusting and Hand Held Duster Safety?

I use a pest control company, but am thinking about taking on the task myself (ant, roach, spider and so on quarterly service). It is just my wife and I with no kids or pets. We live on a lake in the woods so the critters are abundant.

The pest control technician uses a hand held duster inside the house and seems to randomly spray the baseboards. He quickly walks around the rooms and reaches down toward the baseboard and poofs.

How effective is this approach and is it the correct way to apply dust?

We have mostly tile/hardwood floors with floor vents. I am concerned that the dust on the base boards eventually gets blown around by the A/C. Is this a problem? Can it become airborne and thus settle on other areas? Is there any potential of breathing in the dust? How safe is it?

I have avoided inside chemical sprays because of concerns about fumes, smells, wood stains, breathing in the fumes, and so on. Are these concerns justified?

What would be the optimal approach (dust, chemical, or ?) for inside treatment? What product(s)?

What would be recommended for outside perimeter sprays? Should the windows, foundation, decks, doors, and so be sprayed? Am I better off using a technician or is it something I can do safely and effectively?

Thank you.

Mike

Old 07-12-08, 12:58 PM
T
Sounds like you have already answered your own questions. You can use a residual insecticide spray along baseboards, window sills, and door thresholds. Seal where wires and pipes enter the house, and seal around pipes beneath sinks. A monthly spray during the buggy season usually keeps pests at bay.

The powder used by the exterminator is a boric acid powder. If you have German cockroaches and ants, the powder acts as a bait and gets carried back to the colony where it can hit home. Bait is effective on social insects.

The occasional wood roach that wanders in poses no threat. Simply pick up with a tissue and flush or release outdoors. Spiders are carnivores and will set up housekeeping where they can feed on other insects. If you eliminate spiders' food source, they will either move on or starve to death.
Frequent vacuuming and using a broom or other tool to knock down spider webs along toe kick areas on cabinets and in corners is helpful.

A monthly perimeter residual insecticide spray outdoors tends to keep insect pests and their predators at bay. Spray foundation and perimeter. Also, spray door thresholds and around door and window trim.

Sealing gaps in structure to prevent entry will also help keep pests at bay. Use a paintable silicone caulk if using where there are paintable surfaces. If used outdoors, use an exterior grade. Make sure windows and doors properly close without gaps. Think like a bug and spray areas indoors and out where bugs may enter or hide.

You can find gallon size containers of insecticides at the hardware or home center. Read labels to see if they target the insects you have. A can of Raid is always handy if you happen to spy an invader.

If there is no significant infestation of any particular insect, just the occasional wandering wood roach or ant or other bug or spider, then there is no cause for concern and DIY control tends to be effective. It is time to call the exterminator should an insect population get out of control.

Old 03-19-09, 08:44 PM
D
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
There is a correct way to dust, How to kill bugs using dusts | Pest Cemetery it's not rocket science but do be careful and don't go too overboard. If you're looking for more tips on do it yourself style pest control check Exterior chemical barriers: pest proofing part 4 | Pest Cemetery I hope this helps but keep the # of a good professional in case something gets out of whack.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: