Just Eliminated a Yellow Jacket Nest!

Old 08-03-08, 06:37 PM
H
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Just Eliminated a Yellow Jacket Nest!

Just wanted to post some info about a yellow jacket nest that I just destroyed.

No one, especially me, wants to get stung in the process of eliminating a yellow jacket nest. I have 4 kids and hate killing anything, however I have no qualms about killing wasps that could potentially harm my 4 small kids in my backyard.

The yellow jackets (which I have learned are a wasp and an invasive pest that was introduced) were all over my back lawn. They behaved fairly passively, as I mowed over top of them without incidence.... yet I did not know where the nest was located. My husband pinpointed an area for me, as he was attacked by several while weed-whacking near a pine island in our yard.

At dusk, I approached observed them for a bit and finally found the hole in the ground, as they all congregate as nightfall approaches. Make sure you are only dealing with one entrance, as I hear there can be two or three and you should cover the secondary holes before you treat the main thoroughfare. Um.. good luck with that if there is more than one, but I hear topping them with a bowl works nicely. BTW.. do not use a flashlight.. they are attracted to the light. I did this at dusk, so there was still enough light to see the entrance.

I was a bit wary, as there were many yellow jackets hovering above and near the hole.... and I hear there is always a "warrior jacket" on watch if the hive is threatened.

I used a can of Spectracide Wasp and Hornet Killer... I am only posting to let you know this was wonderful! When you first spray it, it produces kind of a *cloud* of spray and then it becomes more direct and finally foams to fill the hole. The initial cloud knocks down all the hovering yellow jackets (included the dreaded warrior *alarm the hive* bee)... then the rest eventually foams and fills the entire nest.

I waited about 10 minutes (because it foamed up so much I could not even see the hole in the ground) and returned. There were no yellow jackets investigating (which impressed me) and then I followed up my attack with a very heavy dose of Sevin Concentrate straight down the hole... just for good measure.

In closing.. I am a wimp. I had no desire to be tough about this whole experience and was terrified of the prospect of having to rid my yard of this nest. I read and read and read on the Internet and finally decided on my method. I decided against gasoline because of the environmental implications (i.e.. killing trees, getting into the water table, etc.) and I have to say this method was ROCK ON!!! Never got stung.. never got approached.. despite the nine layers of sweatpants and turtles necks in August in GA... I'm certain the neighbors still think I am CRAZY!!!!

So anyway.. just wanted to post my success for anyone researching how to take out a large, underground yellow jacket nest. This method was spot on and I will not hesitate to use it again, should I find another nest.

Good Luck!

Heather
:mask:

Old 08-04-08, 12:14 PM
S
I have been advising my customers to follow a modified version of your plan for years.Honestly you do not need the spray if you pour the sevin into the hole after dark.Use an average household bucket...2 gallon or so....pour in around 8 ounces of Sevin and fill with water then pour that mix into the hole flooding the nest deep enough to reach the deeply buried queen.Sevin is known as one of the most deadly products toward any form of bee,wasp,hornet etc and the dilution mentioned is far and away strong enough.Spray only kills what it hits and those that touch it's residue.you must kill the queen or at least block all access to her.

And I agreee....the old time gasoline way is a bad idea.For one thing it remains potentially flammable for quite awhile.And of course gas isn't good for the soil.

Old 08-04-08, 12:53 PM
H
Question

I guess my biggest concern about not using the can of spray would be the initial "attack" of the hive, including those swarming around the entrance. I liked using the spray (even only if the results are temporary.. it afforded me enough time to get back to the hole and fill it with the Sevin concentrate). Had I poured my milk jug full of Sevin directly into the hole, I would have surely been attacked by the yellow jackets hovering around and near the hole? The cloud burst of the can dropped all the wasps near the enterance and allowed me to get closer.

BTW.. I used a heavier dose of the Sevin concentrate. Guess you could say I over-did-it! BUT there has been zero activity today at the site of the nest.. just a few laggers who were not home yet hovering near. What will happen to them?

THANKS for your reply!

Heather

Old 08-04-08, 02:21 PM
S
Originally Posted by Heatheratl11 View Post
I guess my biggest concern about not using the can of spray would be the initial "attack" of the hive, including those swarming around the entrance. I liked using the spray (even only if the results are temporary.. it afforded me enough time to get back to the hole and fill it with the Sevin concentrate). Had I poured my milk jug full of Sevin directly into the hole, I would have surely been attacked by the yellow jackets hovering around and near the hole? The cloud burst of the can dropped all the wasps near the enterance and allowed me to get closer.

BTW.. I used a heavier dose of the Sevin concentrate. Guess you could say I over-did-it! BUT there has been zero activity today at the site of the nest.. just a few laggers who were not home yet hovering near. What will happen to them?

THANKS for your reply!

Heather
I'm glad the spray worked but the real solution here is never do this in daylight for the very reason you used the spray....that you will be attacked.Spray is often not enough of a deterant or there are enough that are missed that you do get stung.Also a milk jug doesn't have the immediate flow rate you want.

The few that were missed and don't ultimately get exposed to the residue will eventually abandon the area.

If you used undiluted concentrate you problem is over.

Old 07-09-13, 12:41 PM
C
Received 8 Votes on 7 Posts
I did a search here on DIY.com and found this post about Sevin dust, wanted to share a method that worked for me on underground yellowjacket nests.

I bought some Sevin powder and already had some clear plastic 1/4" ID tubing in my inventory. I pressed one end of the tube onto the blower nozzle on my air compressor. Then I pushed the other end of the tubing into the powder a few times, until the tube was full for about 6 inches, and stuck that end of the tube into the nest entrance. A quick blast of air forced the powder out and into the nest. I may need to revisit with another treatment- we have young kids and I want this nest gone- but this seems to be doing the trick.

Old 07-09-13, 01:12 PM
P
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 44 Votes on 38 Posts
A genuine DIY trick! You can also mix the sevin powder with water and pour it into the hole. It may go deeper than blowing the powder in.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: