little brown bugs in kitchen...

Old 10-20-08, 04:21 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
little brown bugs in kitchen...

little brown bugs in my kitchen drawers and had an exterminator come, he sprayed and they are still here, what do i do?

Old 10-20-08, 04:34 PM
Super Moderator
Received 47 Votes on 45 Posts
If you paid an exterminator to spray you should call him back right away.

Old 10-20-08, 05:56 PM
N
I totally agree with Greg. Also ask him what the bugs are in case they ever come back.

Newt

Old 10-20-08, 07:03 PM
T
Explore your cupboards for infestation of larvae and beetles. These are usually found in grain products. Clean out cupboards and discard infested products. Vacuum all nooks and crannies. Purchase some sticky traps and place in cupboards. An exterminator can spray obvious areas, but not the nooks and crannies. He does not explore your pantry for infested products or clean out cupboards. Until you eliminate the source, the problem will be ongoing.

Old 10-21-08, 12:24 PM
D
what can they be.........

Old 10-21-08, 05:32 PM
Super Moderator
Uh, they are bugs..........
There are many little brown bugs.

A clear close up picture posted to a photo host like Photo Bucket with a link may help us identify them for you.

Here are a couple of sites where you may find your pest:

http://bugguide.net/node/view/15740
http://www.pestcontrolcanada.com/Que...his%20pest.htm
http://www.pestcontrolcanada.com/INS...nsects%202.htm

Let us know what you find.

Old 11-06-08, 01:10 PM
M
Smile Little brown bugs in my bathroom

I discovered these little brown bugs in my bathroom a couple of months ago and drove myself nuts trying to identify them and find where they were coming from. Finally called an exterminator who did a thorough search of my bathroom drawers, cupboards, etc. Lo and behold, in the bottom of one drawer was one of those rice bags that you nuke and put around your neck for muscle aches. Hadn't been used in years and was crawling with these little "drug store beetles"...the same ones you may find in cereal, flour, corn meal, and other grains you keep in your kitchen cupboard. Got rid of the rice bag, vacuumed up the bugs and they are GONE!

Old 11-06-08, 04:33 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
All it takes is a little investigation, and when you finally realize, duh, I put that thing in the drawer, it hits home. Glad you got rid of them. Better check where my wife stores hers to make sure they aren't making a home.

Old 11-07-08, 12:08 PM
D
this is going on for a month and its driving me nuts, now they fly and are on my counter top, is there any other way to kill these bugs.

Old 11-07-08, 12:17 PM
Unhappy bugs!!!

Of course, the first thing to do is try to find out what they are. I know you have done that, but what did the exterminator say they were? I have used the COMBAT brand of traps that has worked well for ants and roaches. Sometimes the person at the Lowe's or Home Depot can tell if you take one there. They have a book. Maybe then buy the little "hotels" for the proper bugs. Main thing is NEVER-NEVER bring home cardboard boxes and paper sacks from the store and keep them. Little larve like to come with them. Whatever you do, if you spray, do it for three days in a row. Some of the little buggers reproduce every 24 hours. Good luck!

Old 11-07-08, 12:25 PM
T
It usually takes repeat treatments to eliminate the infestation. Traps are a good way to catch the few that managed to escape insecticide. Eggs and larvae in cracks and crevices in cupboards and other hiding places in the kitchen can escape treatment.

Again, clean out cupboards and inspect grain products for infestation. Read here for info on pantry pests: Pantry Pests

Old 11-07-08, 04:13 PM
D
i had 3 different companys look at the bug and none no what kind of bug it is.

Old 11-07-08, 04:36 PM
N
Dsifer, did you look at the pics from the site Twelvepole gave you? If none of those are a match, can you post a picture?

Newt

Old 11-09-08, 09:09 PM
C
Originally Posted by twelvepole View Post
It usually takes repeat treatments to eliminate the infestation. Traps are a good way to catch the few that managed to escape insecticide. Eggs and larvae in cracks and crevices in cupboards and other hiding places in the kitchen can escape treatment.

Again, clean out cupboards and inspect grain products for infestation. Read here for info on pantry pests: Pantry Pests
I am near tears dealing w/Indian meal moths. I've probably lost hundreds of $$$ in food, not to mention the days I've spent trying to find where they are. One source of their nesting turned out to be my Longaberger baskets, which I have about 20-30 in my kitchen and dining areas (I used to sell them :-). I have had to dump & pitch items, take out the liners, plastic protectors and use very hot water and a brush. I have allowed to air dry and have now bagged them all up and moved to the garage (my kitchen looks sterile!). I had already done a clean sweep of my pantry about a month ago and seem to have gotten that area under control (I PRAY!!!) but have spent about $150 in OXO sealtite containers. We have cleaned out the cupboards w/bleach and then sprayed w/an indoor bug spray I had (don't know if it killed them, but they probably drowned. I have visited 2 hardware stores (One a tractor supply) and neither had anything that would work on these demons. So I'm now getting ready to order something on-line. But nothing sounds especially promising. UGH!! This is so infuriating!! I even called my local pest control company and they said I was doing pretty much the same thing they would do. ANYONE HELP?????????

Old 11-10-08, 04:24 AM
Super Moderator
Welcome to our forums Childsong

If the pest control company said you were doing "pretty much" the same thing as them you must be missing something.

At this point your infestation is serious enough to warrant the cost of their expertise.

Old 11-10-08, 08:28 AM
N
Childsong, I went through something similar and used pantry bug traps. They contain a pheramone that attracts them. It took 6 months to get the last of them, but it finally worked.
Pantry Pest Trap

Newt

Old 11-11-08, 03:52 PM
D
got another exterminator and he told me they are not meal moths and he is gonna try to find out what they are, this is getting out of control, im about to rip my whole kitchen out

Old 11-11-08, 04:13 PM
T
Have you gone through all your foodstuffs to determine the source of the infestation? Have you had any luck looking at the pictures in the links posted?

The most common pantry pests are Indian meal moths, dermestid beetles, sawtoothed grain beetles, cigarette and drugstore beetles, flour beetles, granary, rice and maize weevils, bean weevils, and spider beetles. Of course, identification would be helpful, but finding the source and eliminating it is of utmost importance. Clean out cupboards and inspect everything. Seal grain products in airtight containers. Clean behind appliances to eliminate any spills. Keep pet food and bird seed in sealed containers.

Inspect other areas of the home for a source of infestation, including garage, attic, and basement. Dermestids (carpet beetles) can develop in many products such as feathers, silk, wool, fur, stuffed animal skins, dead insects, lint and many other materials. Dried flower arrangements, wreaths, etc. can also be a source.

Keep in mind that bugs have egg, larva, adult stages. Bugs constantly reproduce. When exterminator sprays, eggs are protected inside egg case. Larvae and adults can hide in cracks and crevices. Vacuuming all cracks and crevices is important. Repeat applications of insecticide are required. Eggs hatch within just a few days.

Old 11-11-08, 04:14 PM
Super Moderator
Like we said, provide a clear in-focus pic and we might be able to help!

Old 11-14-08, 03:46 PM
D
just found out they are confused flour beetles, how can i kill them?

Old 11-14-08, 03:55 PM
T
Control begins with the location of the infested food. A thorough clean up is required. Use a vacuum cleaner to get into the cracks and crevices.

Photo Credit: Rebecca Baldwin and Andrew Koehler, University of Florida; USDA

Read more: red and confused flour beetles - Tribolium Spp.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: