Rodents in house

Old 12-10-08, 09:10 PM
O
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Rodents in house

I have been battling mice and rats in my 129-year-old-house on and off for more than twenty years. I know the best thing to do is to try to keep them out in the first place, and I have spent many hours plugging up every little opening I can find, including right up to the roof because some got in right under the roof once. My neighbor once said that an ant couldn't get into my house because of the work I've done.

Unfortunately, some more did get in about ten weeks ago. I think I found their entry spot--a broken door sweep to the back porch.

Anyway, I have been using D-Con rat and mouse poison in the cellar (in wooden boxes with small openings so a cat couldn't come in contact with it), along with traps. I have caught three rodents in traps so far, but they look more like moles than mice or rats--they're dark with somewhat pointed mouths and short tails, but about as big as a mouse. A lot of the poison has been eaten thus far, but I still hear something crawling in the walls at night, usually between 1:00 A.M and 5:00 A.M.

I've replenished the D-Con six times, as well bait in the traps six times, and currently have almost 40 traps set. I just checked the cellar tonight after my last visit three weeks ago, but no poison had been eaten, and nothing was caught in the traps. (I have used all kinds of bait for the traps--peanut butter, peanuts, chocolate, hard candies, tuna fish, chicken; tonight I gave them some pot roast.)

Does anyone have any idea why I can't get rid of these rodents? I really don't think any more are getting in.

Thanks for your help.

Old 12-10-08, 09:37 PM
T
"I just checked the cellar tonight after my last visit three weeks ago, but no poison had been eaten, and nothing was caught in the traps." Sounds like you have declared war and have lilkely been successful if there have been no signs of rodents in 3 weeks.

As you state, exclusion is the best rodent control. You have also identified the source of entry and have sealed all other entries. You set out more than an adequate number of traps and used D-con.

Baits and poisons tend not to be recommended because rodents can die in inconspicuous places such as in wall voids. Then, there is the odor with which one has to deal until the dead animal fully decomposes. This can take several weeks or longer depending upon size.

Old 12-10-08, 09:56 PM
O
Originally Posted by twelvepole View Post
"I just checked the cellar tonight after my last visit three weeks ago, but no poison had been eaten, and nothing was caught in the traps." Sounds like you have declared war and have lilkely been successful if there have been no signs of rodents in 3 weeks.

As you state, exclusion is the best rodent control. You have also identified the source of entry and have sealed all other entries. You set out more than an adequate number of traps and used D-con.

Baits and poisons tend not to be recommended because rodents can die in inconspicuous places such as in wall voids. Then, there is the odor with which one has to deal until the dead animal fully decomposes. This can take several weeks or longer depending upon size.
Yes, but the problem is that I still hear something crawling in the walls at night. As I stated, no poison in the cellar was touched and nothing was in the traps.

Old 12-11-08, 09:53 AM
T
Keep your traps set. Inspect your attic and crawl space if you have one. You may have mice, rats, or other animals nesting in those areas.

Nocturnal noises are usually a sign that rodents are moving from nesting areas to forage for food. Seal around pipes under sinks and any other openings or gaps on the interior where mice might enter the home.

Seal around all pipes and wires that enter the home. Cut tree branches back to at least 10-15 feet from the roof to prevent squirrels, roof rats, and other pests from entering the structure.

Old 12-11-08, 08:21 PM
O
I have already sealed everything. I just can't understand why it's taking so long to get rid of all the rodents. Maybe there is only a few left, or even one, but I have been unable to win this war so far.

I even set up a small container of water surrounded by traps with hair triggers so it would be impossible to get to the water without setting off one of them. But none are sprung yet.

Thanks for your help.

Old 12-12-08, 10:29 AM
T
Traps are best placed along baseboards with the trap end facing the baseboard. Rodents travel along baseboards.

Old 12-14-08, 06:18 PM
O
Traps

Yes, that's the way I have most of them, along the base of the walls in the cellar. You can get some really good traps now. I bought a bunch, which were $1.88 for each pack of four, at Wal-mart. I've forgotten the brand name, but they have a yellow plastic piece imitation cheese where the bait is normally placed.

The instructions state that no bait is necessary--you just set them and put them facing a wall. They have a hair trigger; I should know because I've been whacked with them a half-dozen times when setting them. I use bait with them anyway.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: