Little black bugs found all over the house

Old 12-13-08, 07:51 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Little black bugs found all over the house

These bugs have been found all over the house, kitchen, bathoom, living and bedroom (in carpet). My wife found a whole mess of these in a bag of bird seed which was going bad and in clothes that had been laying around on the floor. They don't climb walls well. They are about 1/8 of an inch or smaller. They look simular to the springtail, however, their abdomen looks more like a long beetle. They don't fly.

Here is a picture illustration of a springtail I found on the internet:

Here is a modified illustration I made with MS Paint:

Can anyone tell me if this is a relative species of a springtail or what little critter this may be? Anyone know how I should go about exterminating these bugs? Thanks

Old 12-13-08, 10:49 PM
N
Hi Moehang,

I suspect it's a foreign grain beetle. Take a look at my reply and links to this post.
http://forum.doityourself.com/indoor...what-pest.html

Is this what you have?

Newt

Old 12-14-08, 02:36 AM
T
To eliminate pantry pests, it is best to clean out pantry and cupboards. Pay particular attention to boxes that contain grain products. Egss and larvae are brought home. It is best not to overstock. Let the local store be your pantry. Shop at a store where there is a high turnover in inventory.

Eggs and larvae are often brought home in grain products, dried flowers and wreaths, and pet food and bird seed. Locate the source of infestation and discard. Use shop vac to vacuum all cracks and crevices in cupboards and pantries to eliminate pests. Insecticide will kill live insects, but not those protected in cracks and crevices and egg cases. With persistence and good santitation, you can eliminate the infestation.

Pantry Pests

Old 12-14-08, 12:56 PM
M
I believe it's the Granary and Rice Weevils, the pictures and descriptions matches the best.

Pantry Pests

Thanks

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: