The mice may be jedis...

Old 12-23-08, 11:26 AM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Unhappy The mice may be jedis...

We have an older house, and discovered we had mice a couple of years ago. To fix the problem, it was simple, we bought some d-CON Ultra Set Covered Mouse Traps, and used peanut butter as bait. After catching 3 mice and fixing the dryer vent, we didn't have a problem the rest of the winter, or the winter after that.

Now, this winter, we have mice again. I thought it would be simple to fix, and put out some of the same traps we did in the past, but its not working this time. We haven't caught any mice, and they haven't tripped the traps either.

My wife did some research, and found that the fact we have a dog may be hurting us, because we may be transferring the scent to the traps. So, I bought some more traps and was careful to wash my hands before I baited and set them.

Still, we haven't caught a mice, so now, I've set some glue traps, and they aren't biting on those either. I saw a mice this morning, running right along the baseboard of our kitchen and underneath the radiator, right across the glue traps and the snap traps, and behind the cabinets again.

How the heck do I get these things? Any ideas for traps, bait, soaps, etc.?

Old 12-23-08, 11:32 AM
T
Be persistent with trapping, setting trap side toward baseboards where mice travel. Don't leave pet food dishes out. Seal around pipes under sinks and any other possible gap where mice can enter. They can squeeze through a hole the size of a dime. Seal around where wires and pipes enter on the exterior of the home. Inspect foundation and other areas and seal. Make sure doors properly close and there are no gaps.

Old 12-23-08, 12:42 PM
C
I'll try setting the traps towards the baseboard and see if that helps. The traps have been set for at least a month, with not a bite. I've had them under radiators, next to baseboards, etc.

Old 12-23-08, 02:38 PM
T
Remember the song 3 Blind Mice. Well, in truth, mice don't see very well. They feel their way along baseboards with whiskers. You can see them scamper out in the open, but they are usually startled and can't see where they are going until they hit the baseboard or cabinets or other structure which they detect with whiskers, looking for a hiding place. Setting enough traps and setting with the flippy trap side toward the baseboard works best.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: