scratching in the chimney breast

Old 01-06-09, 09:39 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
scratching in the chimney breast

HELP !!! We live in a semi detached house in a small crescent and for a few days now I can hear scratching in the vacinity of the chimney breast in our bedroom, there is no open fire place in there and the scratching is not constant just now and again, loads of pigeons in the area so presumed one had dropped down n got stuck ? called rspca who said they couldn't do anything as the fireplace downstairs is blocked off they said sad tho it is the 'bird' would eventually fade away thru lack of food and water ,..... but ... its been nearly a week ?? is it a brid or something else ?? Please help, I only managed one hours sleep last night

Old 01-06-09, 10:28 AM
N
Hi Jelly,

It's impossible to say what it could be, but consider the possibility of a mouse or other rodent. If the sound comes from exactly the same place, is it possible to either open a part of the wall or have an exterminator or plumber with a camera on a 'snake' take a look for you? I would think the RSPCA would have one.

Newt

Old 01-06-09, 10:56 AM
Super Moderator
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
As newt said...something may have decided its a great place to winter over. I've seen several articles and TV shows about racoons, squiirels, etc, climbing down unused chimneys and nesting/denning.

I had a noise under my firebox, and found rabbits had nested under the fireplace due to a broken block in the foundation. I was nice and waited for spring before making the repair.

Old 01-06-09, 12:20 PM
J
Hiya and thanks very much for the replies.

The sound is always the same and always in the same place, its a definite scratch which is what made me think of a bird and I don't know if I'm being a typical female but I can't figure out how anything could nest half way down (or up) a chimney, you would think it would just fall in and drop to the bottom ? If it is nesting do we just ignore it or does it need dealing with, i have to say its freaking me out wondering what is the other side of the wall

Old 01-06-09, 12:23 PM
Super Moderator
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
All depends on what the internals of the chimney look like. Could be a ledge or step at that point. If there was ever a fireplace or stove there, thats very likely. It may not even actually be inside, look at the exterior closely and see if there are any penetration points in the wall.

Only way to know for sure is to lower some sort of video camera to the point you hear it.

Old 01-06-09, 01:17 PM
N
It may not be nesting, but might be stuck and can't figure out how to come out. When a bird is stuck in a chimney, it's best to block all exits but one and have a light shine from the unblocked exit. The bird will go to the light to exit.

I suspect if it was a bird you would hear some type of chirping. You mentioned the sound is just now and again. Birds tend to be active during the day and most rodents are active at night.

Whatever it is, it would be best to have it removed. If it dies in place, the smell could become a problem.

Newt

Old 01-08-09, 12:25 PM
J
Don't know if its good news or bad but ... the scratching has stopped, not heard anything for a couple of days ? this means either a) whatever was there has got out ...... b) Its died or (and much more worryingly ..... c) its managed to get into the house and probably sleeps in my bed whilst I'm out at work ..

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: