Red Ants~how do I get rid of them?

Old 05-09-09, 10:34 AM
K
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Red Ants~how do I get rid of them?

I looked here and I don't see the answer readily.
I have a colony of these common SW red ants just outside our front porch.
We have no animals so any pesticide would be OK with me.
What do you use to get rid of these ants?
They make a mess in the area and I sure would like to be rid of them.

Old 05-09-09, 10:44 AM
N
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Hi Keninaz,

You mention that you searched here so I'm guessing you read the other threads about ants. If so, were you able to id your ants? Once you know which ones you have you can choose the proper bait.

Newt

Old 05-09-09, 10:53 AM
K
I have not ID'd them yet. When I looked here and searched the internet for "Red Ants" All I seem to come up with is pages of fire ants. They look the same as what I have anyway.
I assume what I call a common red ant is just a fire ant?
They are all over the SW I know.
The property I am in now is a rental. The landlord tried some white power. They seemed to like it. If it killed any I didn't notice it.
They don't harm anything that I know of but they do get dirt all over the sidewalk which in turn tracks into the house.
And of course when it's warm they are all over the sidewalk and driveway.
I would really like to kill this mess out.

Old 05-09-09, 11:01 AM
N
I searched here with the term ants and found a recent post with links I gave for id.

Here's a key to many common household ants in the first link and more info on ants in the second one.
http://www.ipm.ucdavis.edu/TOOLS/ANTKEY/index.html
http://www.ipm.ucdavis.edu/PMG/PESTNOTES/pn7411.html

Fire ants are usually quite aggressive and will bite.

Newt

Old 05-09-09, 11:14 AM
K
Thanks, I looked at those links.
I don't see the black or brown abdomens on these ants but maybe I am looking for something more vivid.
The appear to be either the Red Imported Fire or the Southern Fire as near as I can tell from the links.
I am fortunate that they are only in the one area of my rental property I guess.
I know that when I first came to AZ many years ago in the Army we discovered these common SW ants will take a scorpion apart for food. They are pretty tough and they will bite.
My wife however does not think they are a fire ant.

Old 05-09-09, 11:38 AM
N
I would suggest you try a bait for what appears to be the closest or send a couple of samples in a zip lock baggie to your local extension service for id. That way you'll know for certain.

Newt

Old 05-09-09, 11:42 AM
K
OK, and thanks for the information

Old 05-09-09, 11:57 AM
N
You are very welcome! If you do find out which ants they are I'd love to know.

Newt

Old 06-05-09, 09:50 PM
B
What it sounds like you are dealing with is called a harvester ant. They are either black or red and fairly large in size. I live and work in southern AZ and while we have a limited population of fire ants I can say fairly confidently you are not dealing with any type of fire ant. Just to confirm this if they are all the same size then it is a harvester ant. There queen could be several feet below the surface so you would need to drench the mound with chemical, possibly even Roding it. Unfortunately Bait has little success on this type of ant. Newer chemicals will have minimal impact on the environment if used according to the label.

Old 06-06-09, 08:20 AM
K
Just for information I found a post that made pretty good sense to me somewhere out there.
It said to take very hot boiling water and pour it down the nest. They say this scalds them to death and if you are lucky you will get down to the queen. They recommended 2 gallons.
OK, they are tough critters so I got around 6 gallons of boiling water ready and poured it down the nest. It appeared to work just fine but within hours I saw ants coming from the creek across the street to the nest I had just poured the water on.
So I quickly got some common bait granules and spread it on the area. This seemed to have discouraged the ones that were coming to the rescue (I assume anyway) to leave and they did.
It's been a couple of weeks now and I have no signs of them digging or crawling around so apparently this method works.
Just be careful with that boiling water in big quantities!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: