Drugstore Beetles

Old 06-11-09, 08:38 PM
N
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Drugstore Beetles

Help!! I am being taken over by Drugstore Beetles. I have had them for about a month now and I need to know how to get rid of them.

They are living on my door wall, window, and ceiling. They are not in my kitchen where the food is at. I have not found where they are laying their eggs at, but I have checked all the food and found nothing.

Where else can they be living?

How do I get rid of them?

Can they be living outside and sneaking in under the door?

Are they harming my house, family, or pets?

I am really grossed out by having to kill these constantly and really need to know how to get rid of them when I cannot find the source. I think I may have thrown the original item out without knowing it and now they are hiding somewhere.

Please help, they gross me out and make me itchy.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-12-09, 07:05 PM
B
Just a thought but how positive are you that you are dealing with drugstore beetles. For example you could Google images of carpet beetles. They are a bit bigger but same general shape. The areas you described that you are finding them in sound more in line with carpet beetles. If that is not what they are I would take a few to a pest control company for identification. Once you know for sure what you are dealing with you will be able to take the appropriate action.

Old 06-13-09, 09:41 PM
N
Thank you for the reply.

They are red/brown and basically look like a very small coffee bean with a little head. When I googled carpet beetle it says the Carpet beetle adult is black; wing covers with an orange/red stripe down the middle, and variable pattern of whitish and orange/red oval scales. These definatly are red/brown. I guess some of the pictures could be the bug.

I only have hardwood floors in the area they are at, could they be coming in from outside or living in the cracks? They are only active at night when the lights come on, they hide during the days. They hang out on the walls and ceilings, and sometimes are attracted to the tv.

I really think there was eggs on some roses I was given from a grocery store because it seems like they are hanging out where the vase was before I tossed it out. It started with just a few flying towards my tv, I thought they were gnats that snuck in until a lot came out.

I can not afford someone to come in, if they are carpet beetles how can I get rid of them on my own? I tried this orange bug killer that is for indoors and they stay away from the sprayed area for a couple of days and then go right back.

Any advice would be appreciated!

Old 06-13-09, 11:23 PM
B
I donít think the roses have anything to do with the infestation, as beetles have a larval stage prior to becoming the adult beetle. You probably would have seen them if that was the case. If you donít have carpet, rugs or clothing in the area you are seeing the beetles then they are most likely not carpet beetles either. You said you have hardwood floors though. That brings up another worse case possibility. They could be powder post beetles. So let me ask a couple of questions. What state do you live in? What kind of wood is your flooring? Do you have a crawl space? How old is the flooring? And lastly check everywhere on your wood floors for any hole that is about 1/4 inch in diameter or smaller and almost perfectly round. Also check window sills and base boards. If you are able to get a good close look at one again, check to see if the end of the antennae is wider (clubbed) then the start (if you are able to see them). There are tons of different kinds of beetles out there so this may take some time to identify the beetles and in turn to give the advice you are looking for. The fact that they suddenly appeared is a little concerning. If they go away just as quick please keep in touch, because if they are some type of wood infesting beetle it would be just part of their life cycle and not the end of your problems.

Old 06-14-09, 06:54 PM
N

What state do you live in? Michigan

What kind of wood is your flooring? Snap together flooring, I'm not sure what type.

Do you have a crawl space? No

How old is the flooring? 7 years

Here is a picture, the size ranges from flea size to maybe 3 times bigger. The pic shows spots but it is all brown. There are no legs showing they are underneath and very small antenna.

They really only appeared a month ago so I thought it was maybe eggs on the flowers or in the dog food but I did not find any in the food. They are not on the floor except when they die. They like the blinds, wall, and ceiling.

Thanks for your help.

Old 06-14-09, 07:46 PM
B
Hmmmm well it is not a powder post beetle. You are right in that it looks very much like a drugstore beetle, but you say you have not found any in the kitchen. It also looks like the deathwatch beetle witch I am told you guys up north see a lot of. If you take it by a pest control company (use a bigger co. as they are more likely to have an entomologist there) to indentify the beetle. It is possible that they are coming in from outside, but I doubt if that was the case you would be seeing the numbers you are. I would need a microscope to tell you for sure if it is a drugstore beetle or a deathwatch beetle. Just in case you could put any grain type food you have in the freezer, until you can have somebody take a look at them. If it is a Deathwatch beetle then that would have to be professionally treated. If it is neither you could pick up some spray and some granules and treat the outside of your home.

Old 06-24-09, 09:50 PM
N
Needhelp, your pest doesn't look like a drugstore beetle to me. Maybe a cigarette beetle?
http://entnem.ufl.edu/creatures/urba...ore_beetle.htm
http://entnem.ufl.edu/creatures/urba...tte_beetle.htm

Newt

Old 07-28-09, 10:53 AM
N
Drugstore beetles

I have had problems with drugstore beetles myself. Had them identified by my local Ag Extension. They came into my home in a box of dog biscuits and I didn't know where they were coming from until I was overrun with them. They are attracted to light and moisture so you will see them in the windows, on the walls, and in the sinks.

The first thing you have to do is get rid of all the food products that they are nesting in (open boxes of cookies or crackers, dog food, pasta, etc.). Clean out the storage cabinets paying attention to cracks and crevices. Then bomb your house with an insect bomb that kills adults and eggs (one that contains pyrethrins). You may have to do this more than once until they are gone.

They are harmless, but a real nuisance!

Old 08-31-09, 02:36 PM
E
I'm having this problem too, except they're centered mainly in the master bath, which is about as far as humanly possible from any pantry food source. I think they're coming from the outside since most seem to congregate around a window, but I can't for the life of me confirm that 100%. They're driving me nuts.

Old 09-28-09, 02:52 PM
E
I similarly found beetles in the bathroom: they like water. But none in the kitchen. Eventually I stumbled across the source: an infested natural-fiber, natural fill, "relaxation pillow" in a hall closet. Also they infested a nearby shelf of old magazines. In a way my wife was thankful since it got me to do a major cleaning.