Squirels

Old 07-18-09, 05:36 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Squirels

NEVER HAD THIS PROBLEM BEFORE.
SQUIRELS ARE EATING THE PEACHES ON MY PEACH TREE THAT ARE NOT RIPE YET. hAVE BEEN BARING PEACHES FOR OVER 7 YEARS AND THIS IS THE 1ST TIME SQUIRELS ARE EATING THEM. ANY ONE KNOW ANYTHING I COULD DO TO RID THEM FROM THE PEACH TREE. I HAVE HAD SQUIRELS FOR YEARS TOO.

Old 07-18-09, 05:42 PM
Super Moderator
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
They are probably hungry from the problem with nut trees. I'd contact the local Extension office or master gardener program and see what they can help you with.

btw...Your location may help people who are in similar situations.

Old 07-18-09, 07:36 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
GG, "missdawglady" could only be from Athens, GA, I'm suspecting. Missy, how about turning off the caps. It looks as if you are shouting at us. This year seems to be a one of a kind when it comes to birds, and other animals eating an inordinate amount of fruit. I have 53 blueberry bushes which normally put off a goodly amount of berries. My chickens are getting the low ones, and birds are eating the higher ones. It has never happened before. We're getting a few, but none like the past years. Hopefully it will pass with the season. Wish I had a better answer. Contact the UGA experiment station or the extension service. They may have a better answer....or not.

Larry

Old 07-18-09, 08:48 PM
B
Received 37 Votes on 34 Posts
Hi! squirrels can be a source of laughter or tears. I gave up on my bird feeder, the birds never stood a chance.

But there may be an option, not sure if it will work for you. While visiting an old friend, coffee on the sun room porch, I commented on his array of bird feeders and since he lives in the woods I asked how in the world he kept the squirrels out. He said, well here comes one now, and sure enough off in the trees we could see one heading directly for us. Now I'm expecting an air horn to go off, but no, the little red beast simply heads up a tree to his own feeder. My friend keeps it filled with stale bread. He has a source from someone on a bread route so it's free.

Not sure if your critters would go for another source or not, but obviously they are in need of food.

My story
Bud

Old 07-18-09, 08:57 PM
Group Moderator
Received 288 Votes on 251 Posts
Offending squirrels around here all seam to die from lead poisoning.

You could try a baffle around the tree trunk. Or you could live trap them and relocate them to another part of town.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: