Ticks

Old 07-25-09, 11:20 AM
N
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Ticks

How can i get rid of them?My yard is infested my animals are covered front line didn't even help.What can anyone suggest?I have tried most of the granules and sprays from lowes/walmart?Anyone have a good confirmed remedy?

Old 07-25-09, 01:10 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Chickens. They work, but I understand if you think they aren't practical. I have long hair dogs and this year seems to be a bumper crop of ticks. The stuff we are using isn't doing a great job either. We have to check them nightly. For the most part they are not attached, and if they are attached, they are dead, so the tick stuff probably is working. I just wish it would deter them. You probably won't be able to add anything to your lawn to get rid of them. They are tough boogers.

Old 07-25-09, 01:36 PM
N
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Yeah i was told chickens before but i think my dogs outside like chickens a little to much.I just cant believe how many ticks there are this year.For everyone it seems, my father that lives near topsail beach says that he even has ticks this year.We never had them when i lived there.May just have to get some chickens and see if i can get the dogs and chicks to get along.

Old 07-25-09, 08:41 PM
nap
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
wow, I guess all my ticks must have moved to your area. I have seen very few ticks this year.

here is a website that list several insecticides specific for ticks. They also list a lot of methods to limit providing a habitat for the ticks.

http://www.ct.gov/caes/lib/caes/docu...ingTicks05.pdf

I currently have some Spectracide Flea and Tick Killer with a sprayer built in (not water hose type, just spray gun) and some Ortho bug-b-gone MAX lawn and garden insect killer. That has a garden hose attachment.

I don't remember which one I got the best results from but if I remember correctly, it was the bug-b-gone.

Old 07-26-09, 05:02 AM
Thankfully our dogs and cats get along with the chickens pretty well. I even have a picture of feeding the three dogs with chickens in between eating from the same bowls at the same time. We were a little concerned last evening watching the 7' bear lumbering down toward the barn where the chickens roost, hoping he didn't like chicken cordon bleu. He just ate all their food, but didn't harm the chickens. He systematically hits all my feeders, grapes, blueberries, etc. but doesn't eat it all, so I guess he's welcome, too.

Old 07-26-09, 07:33 AM
B
Received 37 Votes on 34 Posts
Good morning, so far we haven't seen the numbers you are describing, but they are getting worse every year and the rate of Lyme disease is alarming. So, I want to mention one of my thoughts to see what others think.

With pets it is difficult to apply poison, so what results would one get with a leaf vac or a "Tim the Tool man" super vac version that could literally suck the critters up and be gone with them. I know it wouldn't be perfect, but 50%, 80% anything would be an improvement.

So what do you think, any hope? Should we call Tim?

Bud

Old 07-26-09, 12:08 PM
Problem is they don't live too much in the ground. They hang out on low hanging limbs, leaves, tall grasses, etc. and wait to be attached by an animal passing by them and brushing up against the foliage. And vacuuming 10 acres may not be practical, even with Tim's contraption. I'll just put my money on the chickens and hope the procreation rate is diminished a little.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: