In ground White Faced Hornets Nest

Old 08-02-09, 09:24 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Post In ground White Faced Hornets Nest

Hi All,

After mowing my lawn yesterday I noticed a lot of hornet activity just above my lawn. After looking a little closer I noticed a 2 inch hole that most of the hornets were flying around. I could not see any other holes but I'm not 100% sure there isn't anymore. My grass in a large area around the hole is starting to discolor. What can I do to get rid of this nest before it gets totally out of control.

Any information is greatly appreciated and thank you in advance

Old 08-02-09, 11:12 AM
S
If it's hornets you need to really be cautious.

First try to determine for sure there is no second opening.Buy a quart bottle of liquid Sevin insecticide,pour at least half of it in a regular household bucket at least 2 gallons (alternative is the whole bottle in a 5 gal bucket but it will be heavy and hard to handle properly plus by using half the bottle you have a second chance),go to the hole after dark and using as little light as possible like a penlight flashlight etc to give just enough light to see what you need to see and pour the bucket of mixture into the hole flooding the nest.You could also make the mixture twice and do it twice that night but be careful.

This method is less environmentally iffy than gasoline,no fire dangers and Sevin is very effective against any form of bee related insect.

If this does not work you have a serious problem and may need professionals.Hornets are not like yellow jackets,hornets can do serious damage and even kill in some cases.

Old 08-03-09, 05:42 AM
Any suggestions where to get this product. I would like to get this done ASAP.

Old 08-03-09, 08:22 AM
S
Commonly sold at hardware sotres,garden centers,even big box retail in the garden departments.This is not a hard to find or unusual product.Usually comes in a red bottle clearly marked.

Old 08-03-09, 08:40 AM
B
Received 37 Votes on 34 Posts
spdavids suggestion is good, I would just add a couple of precautions. have a can of wasp spray handy. The good ones will kill on contact and give you some immediate protection. Wear heavy cloths and I like to cover the area with a piece of plastic. By spilling extra around the hole and covering, you catch any that escape. I also do this at dusk as opposed to totally dark so I can see the buggers. As long as all activity has stopped and you feel certain they are back in the hole. So I'm not looking right down the hole, I have also covered with plastic and then push a funnel through the plastic into the hole to apply the pioson.

Bee careful
Bud

Old 08-03-09, 03:54 PM
Good idea. The nest is actually on a hill and the hole it looks like goes at an angle instead of straight down. I was able to find both the Sevin and some knock down wasp spray. As long as I keep my courage up I'm set to do this tomorrow at dusk. Thanks again for all the suggestions.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: