yellow jackets

Old 08-13-09, 03:49 PM
F
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
yellow jackets

Ok i thought i got one next by using roach and ant killer that was in the ground near a fence but it appears they moved and made a new nest around the birdbath where i have bushes. is there any kind of spray that i can like hook up to a garden hose to spray the bushes. i sprayed the bushes and flowers with what was left of the can and put up yellow jacket traps.

Old 08-13-09, 04:06 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
If you have yellow jackets nesting in the ground sprays will not be enough.You must kill the queen which is beneath the ground to eliminate the nest.

A very effective way is buy a bottle of liquid sevin insecticide at least a pint.Take an average household bucket of around 2 gallons.Pour at least a pint of Sevin in the bucket and fill it with water mixing it up.

Go to the nest opening at night,must be in the dark to stop attacks,and pour it down the hole flooding the nest with insecticide laced water.

Be sure you have found all openings and that the one you originally found is not still active.If you find more than one you would have to treat them as well.

Old 08-14-09, 12:56 AM
F
what about Permethrin will that work also. that way i can spray the bushes with a pump sprayer.

Old 08-14-09, 05:30 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
You don't need to spray the bushes. You need to kill the queen, as spdavid said. They are underground, not in the bushes, so pouring the sevin is probably less expensive and more effective than sprays.

Old 08-14-09, 02:38 PM
F
well the nest is in a tree stump and its behind a fence filled with overgrowth from old trees and weeds and im not about to hop the fence in order to flood the nest. thats suicide sense i have no escape path.

Old 08-14-09, 04:19 PM
S
If you do this in the dark the bees will have returned to the nest and become basically dormant.They won't attack unless you provide a large amount of light beyond what you need and you only need a small flashlight.you'd want to plan this out so you could know how to get over the fence etc in the dark.

There's a bottom line here:no killing the queen no getting rid of the problem.

Sprays cannot penetrate nor will they kill enough of the bees to solve your problem.Sprays will not create a barrier that will kill the bees off.

Old 08-14-09, 05:09 PM
B
Received 37 Votes on 34 Posts
I did a quick search but didn't see a commercial product listed as a poison bait as in the same approach used with ants. They carry the poison back to the colony thus killing the queen and all others. I did however, see several homemade baits, with the caution about leaving them exposed. So be careful and enclose them if you go that route.

GL
Bud

Old 08-16-09, 08:01 PM
I
I understand drione dust works very well, you just need to get to the opening and puff away.

Wear thick clothes, ski goggles, motorcycle helmet, lots of duct tape, and a buddy in a car waiting.

Not really that bad but if you get to the opening and get the dust in there it's very effective.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: