Using Decon for mice

Old 10-26-09, 11:43 AM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Using Decon for mice

We recently saw a mouse in the basement of our old house. I put up a few traps and they work great, but I think there is more mice than the two we killed.

I bought some decon like pellets, called black cat or something, and I was going to put the trays out in the basement. I always remember my parents using Decon.

How does this stuff work? Will the mice feed it to the others like the ants do? Is this a good over winter solution for the mice?

I am doing some work in the basement and I will plug holes when I see them. I will have some wet concrete I could use, but I have also heard that steel wool is the best thing to use to plug the holes where they get in.

Any mice advice is appreciated!! Thanks!

Old 10-26-09, 12:18 PM
B
Received 47 Upvotes on 43 Posts
Hi milemarker, I have had to catch a mouse or two in my life, but not a pro. As for Decon, the only thing I don't like is the mice will not cooperate and die where I can find them and a decomposing mouse in a wall or attic is nasty for quite some time. I had to pull security wires many years ago in an attic of a big old home. Well I guess the owners were embarrassed to have us come in with all of the mice, so they put out a ton of Decon a week before we arrived. It worked, dead mice everywhere, and I had to crawl all around them. Timing was perfect, they stunk. Persistent traps have always been my favorite, however I take one precaution, I tie a string to the trap and tie it off. Had a trap disappear and never found it???? I still live in the house and the trap has never shown up.

But I have to share my Decon story, short version. A friend of a friend owned a hunting camp in south Jersey and I was with a group for the last day of the season and helped to close it up. The owner wanted Decon everywhere, so we took care of it. The next year I was there to open the camp and all of the Decon was gone. We expected to see dead mice all over the place, or wherever would be left of them. Nothing?? So we unpacked, cleaned and one of the guys put on a pot of coffee. When he went to pour a cup, he hollered for everyone to come over, he had found the Decon. It was all packed away in the silverware drawer, full to the top. To this day we all believe the mice were returning the favor, baiting our silverware. We all slept very lightly for that hunting trip.

Enjoy
Bud

Old 10-26-09, 12:27 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
DCon works slowly as Bud says, and they will naturally crawl up into places you can't reach and die. The best "poison" made by Spectracide called Safe Kill was systemic and non poisonous to the second generation, so if your dog, cat or a hawk should get hold of the mouse, they wouldn't be harmed. Unfortunately they stopped making it. Duh. I went into a basement the other day and the mice had a nest built, real cozy. Material for the nest......DCon box shreds, so IMO it may work and it may not.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: