Noise in ceiling

Old 11-26-09, 03:02 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Noise in ceiling

Hopefully someone can help me I am going nuts -
This has been going on for a year or so but seems be to getting worse and I am getting more upset, I can not sit in my living room and relax w/o hearing these noises.
I have been hearing loud noises like someone is dragging something accross the ceiling and sounds like a screaching sounds then and dropping stuff on the ceiling making loud sounds. Sounds individually do not last long but happen in sucession. Occasionally I think I (may) hear foot steps but not all the time.
These noises seem to be in the ceiling above my living room. There is another floor above the living room with bedrooms, so the attic is not immedialty above the room I am have problems with.
I have had 2 different critter control companies out to my townhouse (quad). Both went on the roof and in the attic , etc all the normal stuff and said they did not find an entry point to the house. Both said that possibly it could be something like pipes (which I do not think so) or maybe mice have dropped from the attic to the ceiling above the living room.
They put poisen in the attic, they said they can not put poisen in the ceiling. I wanted them to cut holes in the wall and ceiling and neither company would do it.

I have been reading some of the posts in this forum and am learning that not all pest control companies are the same and do not go to the same lenght to solve a problem

Can someone recommend a good company that can do what it takes to research this problem, use infrared heat sensors or scopes on snake with camera or put holes in the wall/ceiling what ever it takes and solve this problem.
I live in the NW suburbs of Chicago (Palatine)

Thank you very much
Any help would be appreciated
John --

Old 11-26-09, 05:31 AM
F
Unhappy Bummed out over Rodent Infestation in New place

I just moved about a week ago into a new duplex apartment. The first night here I heard what sounded like 2 cats chasing each other across the floor above me. No screaming just scurrying and running. I live in a duplex with 2 other apartments. I am on the 2nd floor. When I checked with my neighbor upstairs she told me that she doesn't have any pets and that she has heard this sound in her floorboards and ceilings as well every night due to this she doesn't sleep and keeps her tv up real loud at night.

I also checked with the lady on the first floor and she said she has an infestation of mice. She lays traps and catches them but they keep on coming.
Needless to say after hearing that I am very unnerved.

After reading all of the experiences on this forum, I went around my apartment and stuffed up all the holes where mice could get through. Also I pulled out the stove and there is an opening about a foot and a half long and a foot wide where you can see the brick in the wall. Around this brick is empty space. I can reach my hand up and down and there is nothing to stop a rat or other pest from gaining access to my apartment via this opening. In fact I have heard noises in the kitchen while sleeping in my bed at night.

It looks like the landlord didn't bother to finish drywalling there. As the drywall stops at a certain place and then the opening is there. I stuffed it with steel wool and temporarily placed a board over it. I will go to home depot tommorrow and buy something to close it up better. Even while I was trying to plug up the hole, I actually heard what sounded like thumping sounds and something huge scurrying above the wall there.
In the meantime I know its thanksgiving today and I am going to try to enjoy the day and eat with friends and family later but I am actually bummed out about this.

The thing is I asked the Landlord before I moved in about all of my concerns including pests and from what he told me i would never have suspected anything like this.

I have been hanging around this forum for the past 3 days reading all of the stories of the posters like Asmack and others and I trully feel their pain.

The worst thing about it though is that I just signed a year lease and have 11 months more to go before i can even begin to think about moving. Also from what I am told by both tenants in the building who have lived here for a while. This landlord is a bum who just wants to collect rent but does not address any issues. So its going to be a very long year for me. If anyone has any other suggestions please feel free to share.

Thank you for reading,

Old 11-26-09, 05:42 AM
F
Originally Posted by JohnMP View Post
This has been going on for a year or so but seems be to getting worse and I am getting more upset, I can not sit in my living room and relax w/o hearing these noises.
I have been hearing loud noises like someone is dragging something accross the ceiling and sounds like a screaching sounds then and dropping stuff on the ceiling making loud sounds. Sounds individually do not last long but happen in sucession. Occasionally I think I (may) hear foot steps but not all the time.
These noises seem to be in the ceiling above my living room. There is another floor above the living room with bedrooms, so the attic is not immedialty above the room I am have problems with.
I have had 2 different critter control companies out to my townhouse (quad). Both went on the roof and in the attic , etc all the normal stuff and said they did not find an entry point to the house. Both said that possibly it could be something like pipes (which I do not think so) or maybe mice have dropped from the attic to the ceiling above the living room.
They put poisen in the attic, they said they can not put poisen in the ceiling. I wanted them to cut holes in the wall and ceiling and neither company would do it.

I have been reading some of the posts in this forum and am learning that not all pest control companies are the same and do not go to the same lenght to solve a problem

Can someone recommend a good company that can do what it takes to research this problem, use infrared heat sensors or scopes on snake with camera or put holes in the wall/ceiling what ever it takes and solve this problem.

Thank you very much
John --
John, I know what you are going through. I hear this sounds in my living room and bedroom. Its so bad that last night I had to wear earplugs just to get some sleep. The earplugs did help lots. But just the idea of something running through the ceiling above my head gives me the creeps. I also don't believe that they couldn't find an entrance point for the critters. There has to be someway that they are getting into your place. I would suggest maybe to try to close up all possible entrance points that run directly through to your place on the inside, if this is possible. Any holes in the wall or flooring where anything could gain access. That is what I am in the process of doing now. Its very time consuming and tiring. I didn't even bother with dinner last night I was so tired but I am hoping in the end it will be worth it.

I hope you find a solution though and I will keep you posted on my progress or lack there of tommorrow once my project is completed...lol. (Sorry I have to laugh to keep from crying )

Old 11-26-09, 07:03 PM
J
Thanks for the reply and understanding.
In some sort of way Its nice to know that I am not going nuts , unfortunately this is occuring for other people like you also.
Sounds like you are very handy around the house, checking out all the areas where critter may gain entry.
I am not so handy and woundering who I could call to do what you are doing checking the house for entry holes.
Maybe a house inspection company or something?
I hope you have success in you search and get some relief.
John

Old 11-30-09, 04:49 PM
F
In some sort of way Its nice to know that I am not going nuts , unfortunately this is occuring for other people like you also.
Sounds like you are very handy around the house, checking out all the areas where critter may gain entry.
I am not so handy and woundering who I could call to do what you are doing checking the house for entry holes.
John
Hi John just curious to know what kind of pest company did you call to come out and check on the problem? My landlord also says that he had a pest inspection company out about a week ago they sprayed and put down poison but couldn't find an entrance point either.
I am thinking about calling a wildlife animal trapping company as I hear that they are much more skilled with this sort of thing. For example they will go up on a ladder and physically inspect the roof for entrance ways of the animals, look for their nests etc... They not only will remove whatever is up there but they will then seal up all entranceways to avoid future problems.

I have heard that some of the regular pest inspection companies will not do that much. The only problem is the price for the wildlife person is so much more expensive. However if what me and my landlord is doing now doesn't work that will be the next step for me. As I don't think I can go another 11 months hearing that sound everynite. Not only that but He has put traps in my apartment and squirrel traps out around the property. However, I don't see that working unless you eliminate all possibilities of them entering the property to begin with. Otherwise you are wasting your time and money buying traps thats too tiring..

I am waiting for the loud noises to start up as they usually do around 8pm or 9ish. I am going to attempt to record the sounds tonite. If I can get them I will post a link online here. Plus it looks like there is some sort of straw nest that has been built on the side of the roof top. I will take pictures of this tommorrow morning and send it to my landlord. Let me know how your fight is going.

Old 11-30-09, 04:54 PM
F
John
This is a website you might want to check out with regard to a house inspection company who could check the outside and inside entrances for holes.

Nationwide Professional Wildlife Animal Control Trappers

Old 12-03-09, 04:19 PM
F
Update***

Well it turns out that it was Squirrels making all of that racket keeping me awake all night. My landlord who has been very helpful came over and laid out some squirrel traps. So far he has caught one of the culprits.

As for the mouse problem we laid out snap traps. However, the little critter somehow managed to eat the peanut butter right off the trap without setting it off. After having lunch on me he then proceeded to promptly disapear back down the hole in the kitchen.

So I plugged up that hole with steel wool and haven't seen him since 2 days ago. I also went to Walmart and got one of those electronic pest repellers. I have heard many things about them some good some bad. However, I have to admit since I plugged that into the wall outlet in my bedroom where the mice and squirrels were having a fields day. I have not heard a peep. In fact the last 2 days was soo eerily quiet that I had to turn on my tv for some noise.lol. So I am hoping that it stays that way.

I would never have believed in a million years that Squirrels would be up there in the ceiling making all of that noise like that.

Old 12-08-09, 10:50 AM
S

Thank you very much
John --
Which companies have you already tried? I would hate to recommend a company that you had already tried, but if you haven't tried Terminix yet, you could try them. Since they are rather large, they'll probably have more experience than some of the other companies. There's no telling if they'll actually do what you want, though.

This site about Terminix Pest Control should be able to provide you with some preliminary information that might help you decide whether or not to try Terminix.

Outside of that, you could try more local pest control companies, but you might just need to skip straight to a professional wildlife control company instead.

Whoever you contact, try to found out up front if they are willing to do what you want them to do. There's no point in having them come out for an inspection if they won't go further than that anyway.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: