Black Flies

Old 06-07-10, 09:23 AM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Black Flies

I'm heading to Tobermory in a few weeks and I hear its a bad time for black flies. Has anoyne found a product that works to keep them from ruining my vacation?

Old 06-07-10, 10:26 AM
B
Received 37 Votes on 34 Posts
I chatted with a lady a few years back from Torronto and she also cautioned about the ticks. So, whatever you choose for the black flies, make sure it has DEET which I believe works well on the both.

Bud

Old 06-07-10, 11:20 AM
W
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
I spent quite a bit of time fishing in northern Maine, Vermont and Quebec during blackfly season. The only truely effective method to keep from getting eaten alive was wearing long sleeves, cotton gloves and a headnet.

I also used a Cutter product high in DEET. On some days it was effective and on others it just didn't work as well. I never figured out why. I also used a well known product with a much lower DEET content and it was definitely less effective.

Old 06-09-10, 06:40 AM
D
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
There's a huge range of products available for tackling flies, all as effective as each other. It's just down to personal preference and/or location really.

I find the most effective are electric fly killers, as the flies seem to be more drawn towards the neon blue glow rather than what's on your plate.

If however you plan on going fishing or spending time outdoors in the grassy knolls like Wayne Mitchell then you probably won't have access to electricity. If this is the case then I'd suggest a good old fashioned fly swatter or some fly paper if you have something to hang it off.

I know black flies are an absolute nightmare so I hope this helps.

Last edited by Shadeladie; 06-09-10 at 10:22 AM. Reason: Link removed. Advertising not allowed.
Old 06-10-10, 09:49 AM
P
Has anyone ever tried Mosquito Barrier? I think may be I'll try to make a garlic spray myself and see if it works, any input into this is greatly appreciated.

Old 06-10-10, 12:09 PM
W
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Originally Posted by dane_c1987 View Post
There's a huge range of products available for tackling flies, all as effective as each other. It's just down to personal preference and/or location really.

I find the most effective are electric fly killers, as the flies seem to be more drawn towards the neon blue glow rather than what's on your plate.

If however you plan on going fishing or spending time outdoors in the grassy knolls like Wayne Mitchell then you probably won't have access to electricity. If this is the case then I'd suggest a good old fashioned fly swatter or some fly paper if you have something to hang it off.

I know black flies are an absolute nightmare so I hope this helps.
I nearly coffee spewed when I got a mental image of this fool chasing blackflies with a fly swatter.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: