Yellow Jackets

Old 06-24-10, 06:53 AM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Yellow Jackets

I have a nest of yellow jackets that are very aggressive. Last night after dark I tried to lift the low wooden ramp that leads to my outdoor shed to expose them so that they could be sprayed. I was stung 6 times. I cannot see the nest. Is it appropriate to try spraying into the holes that they enter in and out of, what should I do???

Old 06-24-10, 09:20 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Yikes! Yellow Jackets are tough and even worse when they nest in weird locations. Since you can see the entry hole though, you're in pretty good shape.

Yellow Jackets have sentry's that sit near the edge of the entry and (as you have found) do a good job at protecting the nest. Yellow Jackets, like wasps, have the ability to sting repeatedly.

Because their nest does not go straight down, using spray is nearly useless. The best solution is to use pesticide dust (Delta Dust is the best) and puff it into the nest entry. Dust rolls in like a cloud and fills the entire space within.

Early morning, before sunrise, is the best time to treat the nest because they are inactive at night and moisture in the early morning hours limit their ability to fly.

I have step by step yellow jacket elimination on my website Flying Insectsas well as links to products for their control but I have yet to locate a source for a duster extension so that you can apply the dust from a distance.
Instead you can spray the entry first with wasp spray to knock out the sentry's and then apply the dust.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: