How remove Bee hive?

Old 09-09-10, 06:20 AM
M
Received 6 Upvotes on 6 Posts
How remove Bee hive?

City is telling me there is no Agency which will remove this bee hive from the city tree in front of our property and that I myself will have to pay an exterminator to do this which costs $450.

The hive is located approx. 20-25 feet from the ground and is hanging directly over the sidewalk and our front gate. Looking around the net the best thing I have found so far are "Bee Killer Spray" which freezes and poisons the bees and nest but I am worried that since this hive is the size of a basketball and there is only one small opening located in the underneath of the hive that the spray will not kill the bee located inside of the hive?

Does anyone have any better ideas on how I can get rid of this hive please?

Old 09-09-10, 07:18 AM
Super Moderator
Received 68 Upvotes on 62 Posts
This is something that you may be able to do yourself but keep in mind this is considered an extremely dangerous job.
If something doesn't go right you or someone else coould be hurt or worse.

Having said that I regularly use a foaming type killer several times a year around my place in the country.
I dress myself so that I am fully covered and use one of our mesh mosquito jackets as extra insurance.
If you approach at night the nest will likely be quiet.
The foaming type bee/wasp sprays come with a nozzle attachment that you quietly insert into the single opening a few inches then spray continuously until the foam starts coming out the hole.
Don't push it in too far or ones near the opening may escape.

Because nests generally have only one opening it is very effective.

Old 09-09-10, 07:38 AM
M
Thanks but I don't think anyone will go that close to the nest. One of my friends suggested we take a long rod and set the hive on fire. I am thinking to get a freakin flamethrower?

Old 09-09-10, 07:45 AM
Super Moderator
One thing..bees are in decline in many (all?) areas of the country. I realize you are in NYC..and it may not be an option...but you should see if there are any local beekeepers associations. Many times they will come remove them for free.

Hmmm...first search showed this... http://www.nyc-bees.org/index.html ... might be worth an Email or phone call.

If the bee disease issue isn't corrected....a lot of people are going to get pretty hungry pretty fast.

Old 09-09-10, 09:13 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
Who did you talk to at the city?

Talking to some of your elected officials might get better results.

Old 09-09-10, 09:20 AM
M
Called 311 then Parks and Recreation then City Comptroller's Office then Dept. of Health.

Old 09-09-10, 10:18 AM
M
Just found out from a Beekeeper that this is a "wasp" nest and not a bee nest. The beekeeper says that I should not bother tampering with this nest right now because all the wasps will die by the beginning of winter and the nest will never fall off the branch on it's own so I can break the nest down if I wish in November/December, can anyone confirm this please?

Old 09-09-10, 10:37 AM
Super Moderator
Not without seeing the insects of course. But it sounds right otherwise.

Old 09-09-10, 03:31 PM
P
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 110 Upvotes on 103 Posts
Wasp nests are not usually described as "size of basketball with opening at bottom". This sounds more like a hornet nest. In this situation the difference is moot, anyway.

Winter will solve the problem as honeybees are the only bees that overwinter as a hive. Nothing will use that nest next year, except maybe birds picking it apart for nesting. If it is 20' off the ground and not a threat to people below, leave it alone. Eventually a utility worker may need to get near it, and someone will deal with it, otherwise let winter take it's course.

You are too far from the ground to treat it with those aero's anyway. You have to shoot into the opening(s). Don't even bother breaking down the nest, no need too, nothing will use it next year. It's nice of you to be concerned. If you see workers near it, point it out to them.

Old 09-09-10, 04:00 PM
M
Appreciate the info. My main concern with this is that it's hanging on the end of a lower branch and so was afraid that the size of the hive might be too much weight for the thin branch it's on and may fall but I am being told that will never happen. I will cut the branch and get rid of the nest in December anyway.

Old 09-09-10, 04:01 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
The information on the hornet's nest is spot on. Leave it alone and stay away from it....way away from it. Unless you have been hit by several hornets you haven't lived. I have had them actually take my legs out from under me like a line backer. They are small, blackish with white details on their bodies. They are mean, nasty and IMO were a mistake as they have no social redeeming qualities. Mid December will take care of them. Anything you do will only spread them. Oh, yeah, the hole at the bottom is one way in. There is a flap at the top they use in an emergency to exit. Several "spotters" are always on guard, and once one stings you, he injects you with a pheromone which the rest of the nest can home in on.

Old 09-15-10, 05:35 PM
B
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
just an fyi, in high school one of my science teachers had a side buisinees of removing all types of "bees" nests for free. (paper wasps, hornets etc.) he would sell them to research companies. there maybe someone in your area that does that too.

also an easy way if it is in arms reach and your not allergic. wait tilll night, late night , with a helper get a trash bag , a pair of pruners and put the hive in the bag , sealing around branch , cut banch ,let the whole thing fall completley into the bag and tie it up . they will die in a couple days .

Old 09-15-10, 07:34 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
I saw that on TV once, but I think it was on Bloopers. Two nincompoops tried the get-em-in-a-bag trick. Looked like Keystone Cops.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: