Bedbugs, Psocid or Bird lice???

Old 09-13-10, 09:30 PM
H
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Bedbugs, Psocid or Bird lice???

Ok, as a primer, I own a parrot. Occasionally he sleeps in my bedroom at night on a perch.

About 2 weeks ago, I noticed very tiny bugs just laying in random locations on my bed (about 2 or 3 of them). Everyone's telling me to burn the bed and evacuate asap. After researching bed bugs, I found that no picture online seems to match as the typical bedbug type.

On this forum, I found out about Psocids, and while they seem to be a better match, they're still not spot on.

Investigating further, I found out about Bird Lice (Mallophaga), which seem like the closest match so far. The bug is about 2-4 mm in length, and as far as I can tell, has not bitten me.

Here's a pic I was able to capture of the bug. I ended up finding nearly a dozen inside my night stand (which I've already moved to the balcony outdoor).

Can anyone confirm my suspicions?

I've been pulling my hair out finding the cause...

Thanks in advance.

Greg

Old 09-14-10, 05:16 AM
P
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 44 Votes on 38 Posts
Larvae/pupae are hard to identify from a photo, even in person as there are minute differences between species of insects.

I'm not sure yet, but I don't think bird lice have that stage; will check later.

My first suspicion with this is that it is the larvae/pupae of a stored product pest. In other words, the birds food may be infested with moths/beetles. I've seen incidents of where the insects then infested the perch, or got under covering at bottom of cage, etc. Tear the cage apart and look for more of the same. Check the food containers carefully.

In a hurry; keep us posted. Not psocids or bedbugs, for sure, so relax about that part. Bird lice do not infest humans, except accidentally.

Old 09-14-10, 11:30 AM
H
Thanks for the reply,
I plan to do a complete scrubdown of the cage/perch/toys tomorrow morning.

You may be right about the bird food bugs. Several months ago (like 6 months+), I had purchased a bag of bird seed that had some bugs crawling around in it. After noticing, it threw out the bag and cleaned the cage reasonably well, but I had used the bag at least a couple of times beforehand.

I'm not sure why I'm only noticing these things recently, though I do feel a sense of relief that these aren't bedbugs. I plan on moving in the next couple of months to a new home and don't want to bring any extra "baggage" along with me.

I hope these won't give any more trouble after cleaning everything.

I'll keep you posted on my findings.

Greg

Old 09-14-10, 04:24 PM
P
Forum Topic Moderator
The gestation period for all stored product pests can be 9 to 12 months. This means that even after a thorough and proper cleaning and the disposal of contaminated foodstuffs you very well may see larvae/insects for up to a year, although the frequency and density should ease up early on. If it seems as if there is no relief, then suspect a secondary infestation of the same insects. Thorough cleaning and sanitation will do more than insecticide application, of which I would be nervous about because birds are sensitive.

Birds kick food out of their cages, so look under furniture, cushions, behind things, etc. Look at and under things that you haven't looked at in a long time. Have a good flashlight. When you move have your helpers and you look carefully again.

If you find adult beetles or moths, look them up on internet or forward pics. I'm curious.

Old 09-17-10, 08:19 AM
H
Here's an update,
I spent about 4 hours doing massive cleanup yesterday.
As you suspected, there was a source of food I hadn't considered. My bird has a little portable cage that hadn't been used in months. Well, there was a cup of seeds in there, and several bugs running around inside. These were different from the larvae type in my bedroom, but maybe from the same family?

Anyway, I threw that out, vacuumed the heck out of the room, and cleaned the cage, toys, perch from top to bottom. Looks like new now!

Also took my bird to the vet, and he's clean of any parasites, so no bird lice (phew!).

I was able to capture a photo of these new bugs. This one was dead, but the live ones move fairly quick and are about 5-6mm in length.

Things seem to have gotten better since yesterday, but I'll keep monitoring things for the next week or so. I'll also be more vigilant about cleaning things. I think I have the source of the problem isolated, so I already feel a bit more relieved. Nothing more has shown up on the bed since then.

Thanks for your help!

Greg.

Old 09-17-10, 09:37 AM
Super Moderator
Received 164 Votes on 131 Posts
OK, well I've got the heebie jeebies now,lol . YUK!

I think I found what they are. The first one looks like the larvae of a grain or warehouse beetle

and the second one looks like a rice weevil.

I found these HERE

Old 09-17-10, 10:18 AM
Super Moderator
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
Man....ya'll need to put warning up on these pics! I don't mind even big bugs, but when they pop up on my screen 18" from my face and they are the size of Twinkies...yeah..that gets me just a bit.

Old 09-17-10, 01:27 PM
P
Forum Topic Moderator
Your photos are the adult stage of a weevil, probably the rice weevil as shadeladie posted. They do have a larvae and pupal stage, which is what you noticed earlier. Adult weevils have the long snout that is prominent in your photos.

Don't despair if you see 1 or 2 occasionally. As I said before, their gestation period is very long, so some will periodically hatch out in spite of your cleaning. No insecticide treatment needed. You should see less very soon, though. If not, look for another source of the same insect. You're probably quite tuned in to them now.

Maintain strict inventory control and re-infestation should not occur. Give it time, but pay attention meanwhile.

Old 09-17-10, 01:31 PM
P
Forum Topic Moderator
Gunguy- It's ok if they are the size of twinkies, you just don't want them (or 1/2 of one) in your twinkies!

Old 09-17-10, 01:56 PM
H
Thumbs up

PAbugman and Shadeladie, THANK YOU!!!

I feel much better now that these are not as bad as I initially feared. I'll be keeping things in check and review the pantry for any other possible problems.

I just got word from my agent less than 2 hours ago that my bid for the new place got accepted by the seller, so I'm moving out in about 1 month's time!

I feel a huge relief that nothing serious will be following me.

Thanks once again for all your help. I know more about bugs than I ever really wanted to .

Greg.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: