Termite barrier under slab

Old 12-16-10, 05:12 PM
M
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Termite barrier under slab

I made a large opening in my concrete slab to do some plumbing relocation. Now that I am done, and the soil (mostly sand) is back in the hole and compacted, before I pour concrete to fill the hole, I need to do some prep work.

First is to apply some sort of termite barrier onto the soil before I lay a sheet of visqueen barrier, then rebar/wire mesh, then pour the concrete.

My question is what should I use as the termite barrier? What would have a long lasting effect against subterranean termite? How much should I apply, is that something I can obtain from local home centers?

Old 12-17-10, 08:00 AM
P
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 109 Upvotes on 102 Posts
We're in the northeast and our favorite termiticide for subterranean termites is Termidor (active ingredient: Fipronil). I doubt you will find it over the counter, but google it. It does show up for purchase on web sites. Never did business with any of them, but it is Termidor. They aren't allowed to ship Termidor to some states, like New York. Their site will tell you if your state allows it.

While googling, look for a copy of the Termidor label, and specifically look for sub-slab treatment directions for the amount of mixed product that you will need. We mix one oz concentrate per gallon water here in northeast.

A good second choice would be anything containing the active ingredient: Imidacloprid. Can be bought at the diy stores.

Apparently no basement is involved here, no footer either. If my assumption is correct, then you could simply mix in buckets/jugs and pour it on the sandy soil. Sprinkling cans, compressed air sprayers, also.

In addition to liquid soil treatment, if you want to go one step further, apply a layer of Imidacloprid (look at active ingredient) granules before you put your visqueen down. The ambient moisture will very slowly dissolve the granules over time, the previously applied liquid will work quicker and be deeper down. I would do the liquid treatment for sure, the granules would be an extra layer of protection. You have a window of opportunity to treat the spot; hopefully you will never have to see this part of your sub-slab again.

If you house is on a slab, in the future you could make a perimeter trench, the width of a digging hoe wide, 6 inches deep or so and layer with the granules. It is off label, but it is safe and I've done it, especially in chronically moist situations. The liquid treatments last longer under the surface of the soil, not so long at the top. That's where the granules come in. Imidacloprid and Termidor and non-repellent chemicals; doesn't move the termites; they stay in it, transfer at least some to colony; and die. Don't use repellents.

Old 12-17-10, 11:40 AM
M
Thank you.

I apologize for neglecting to put down the most important aspect which is my location. I am located in Miami, Florida, which is humid and rainy. I already have drywood termite all over the house up top, which I will tent in about a month.

The house is sitting on a 4" deep monolithic slab. No basement. The slab has a thick visqueen underneath, which I broke open when doing the work.

If I apply termidor, how wet do I get it? What I mean is, once I achieve the desired concentration, do I pour in a large amount (buckets) to soak the soil wet several inches or do I use a sprayer and apply a mist?

Old 12-17-10, 11:57 AM
Super Moderator
Received 6 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Don't want to step on bugmans toes...but I think you need to soak it...several inches at least.

Old 12-17-10, 12:10 PM
M
I just realized I already have some pest control products in my garage in the other house which I bought for a perimeter treatment some time ago.

I actually have the following products:

Termidor 20 fl oz (9.1% active ingredients)
Termidor SC, Termador, Termidor Termite - FREE SHIPPING
Phantom 20 fl oz (21% active ingredients)
Phantom Termiticide Insecticide
Drione dust
Drione Dust - Free Shipping

I did not know these could treat termites, my pest control company used them for a perimeter spray twice a year (termidor outside, phantom inside) and when they went out of business they told me I can get the same product and do it myself so I did, to treat ants.

So I guess I could use the termidor product?

Old 12-17-10, 02:38 PM
P
Forum Topic Moderator
Yes, use Termidor. Determine the approx sq footage that you need to treat. Find the section on the label about treating slab structures. That will tell you how many gallons of mixed product that you need to apply for that sq footage. I think, and I"m doing this from memory, I think that it will come out to 2 to 4 gallons of mixed product per 10 sq. ft. I don't have access to my truck and data right now to check, but the label will tell you. We don't treat many slab structures up here; mostly basements/crawls.

Termidor and Phantom are outstanding materials. Very good for all ants and termites-Phantom on interior, Termidor exterior or under slab.

How you deliver the mixed product is up to you-it will be wet, and certainly several inches deep as gunguy said. Sprinkling cans work well on small areas. Soak it, this is a window of opportunity that you won't (hopefully) have again.

Gunguy-don't hesitate to offer your opinions, I enjoy and appreciate your commentary.

Keep us posted.

Old 12-21-10, 12:03 AM
M
One more question, all around the house I have "openings" on the exterior wall - concrete block walls that was chipped open by electricians and plumbers for outlet boxes, pipes, manifolds etc...which will eventually be covered by sheetrock. Should I spray into those openings with which product? Termidor or Phantom? Since it is kind of inside and outside?

Old 12-21-10, 05:34 AM
M
What is the basic difference between Phantom and Termidor if both are termicides? Is Phantom used indoor and Termidor used outdoor indicates Termidor is will not wear off with rain as much, and Phantom is safer as to being harmless for pets?

Old 12-22-10, 03:19 PM
P
Forum Topic Moderator
Phantom is labeled for termites, but I don't know anyone locally that uses Phantom as a "whole house" termiticide; just spot treatments, or temporary treatments until a whole house treatment is performed.

Use Termidor into the block openings, that is considered exterior, at least here in Pa. Termidor can be used indoors if it is applied as a subterranean application. In other words, drill and treat and patch a slab, or trench and treat and cover trench of dirt crawl floor.

The fact that one is for exterior and one is for interior does not reflect the toxicities of either. When manufacturers request label approval from the EPA, that approval has a better chance of coming quicker if the application sites are limited. Later on, they can come back and ask for more sites/methods and use the recent data. Their chemicals will come to market quicker this way.

Both are very safe. The active ingredient in Termidor is Fipronil, which is used in Frontline, which is applied directly to Dogs/Cats. Also found in flea collars. Modern insecticides are much safer and oftentimes more effective than when I started back in the 70's. Phantom can be used in food handling establishments, and I use it for roaches in them. You ask good questions. Hope this helps.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: