Bat problem

Old 03-11-11, 06:27 AM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Bat problem

About twice a year I get a bat in my house. This time there is one in the heat duct.
My house has been seal by a professional. I still get bats in the house. Does anybody body have any ideas of what I can do to take care of this problem.
I have a 4 yr. old and a baby on the way. Don' want them to get bitten by the bats.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 03-11-11, 06:37 AM
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
i would think if you kicked on the heat high enough it would leave.

Old 03-11-11, 03:17 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
May be outside the realm of your expertise, but build bat boxes and mount them high up on the eave of your house or a barn ( I know, not everyone has barns). Bats are extremely beneficial, so killing them would not be an option. If you could make them comfortable in "their" home, they may not choose "your" home to reside. They consume innumerable mosquitoes in an evening. I sit and watch ours from our porch. They just fly up and down the valley, I guess, gorging themselves on their fare.

Old 03-11-11, 03:25 PM
Super Moderator
Received 68 Upvotes on 62 Posts
If you found a bat in your heating duct is there a duct from your furnace going outside for fresh air?

It would be a bit difficult for us to offer suggestions on bat proofing your house if you had a "professional" seal it up.
You might want to have your pro look at it again to see where he might have missed.

Old 03-11-11, 03:45 PM
P
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 109 Upvotes on 102 Posts
I've seen furnaces in basements that have an unusual type damper, that I think is a barometric damper. Not the flapper kind with a counterbalance on it, but it seems to be the exhaust stack going into another pipe with a cone, maybe slightly larger, not sure, but where it meets the other pipe and cone is some kind of air gap. I've suspected these set-ups. If this is the case, you could use mesh wire around it, doesn't have to be pretty. But don't block the air flow, I'm sure it is important.

When you say heat duct, is this a supply/return duct? Or is it the exhause vent?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: