Effectiveness of termite baiting systems vs traditional treatments?

Old 06-07-11, 03:55 AM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Effectiveness of termite baiting systems vs traditional treatments?

Looking for experiences (good or bad) with termite baiting systems and whether they are comparable to traditional treatments as far as protecting a structure/home from termites. Thanks!

Old 07-03-11, 08:18 PM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I have used the in ground bait system a few years ago with good results. I purchased the whole system which included feeding stations, treated bait and a small block of wood which looked like balsa wood. This wood was recommended to first lure the termites to feed on it and then after a few days to a week, if termites were feeding on it then this was exchanged for the treated bait. However, I find from experience that if the feeding station is disturbed when removing the wood, then the termites would not eat the treated bait. So I stopped using the wood and just used the treated bait in the station. My house at the time was a row home and I could only use the stations in the garden at the front of the house.

I believe these feeding stations are meant for spot treatments because termites can still bypass the stations. Now professionals used the liquid chemical system to form a complete barrier of protection around the perimeter of the house. I am not sure whether the chemical kills them or just repels them. Now if the job is done right, termites should not be able to get into your house. I say should because if there are cracks in your basement floor or slab, then termites can enter. This would not be good news if you have a beautiful wood floor.

If you own a twin, termites can also enter your house from your neighbors side.
I would like a couple professionals to give their take on what I posted.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: