Yellow Jackets in the House

Old 07-13-11, 01:35 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Yellow Jackets in the House

A couple of days ago, I came home from work and found about 5 dead yellow jackets on the carpet in my living room. Then today I came home and found about the same amount on the carpet in my dining room (this time all but one were dead). I'm not sure how they're getting in, but most likely it's a crack near a window as there are a lot of windows located near both of the rooms. I didn't have any problems with yellow jackets in the house last year, so I'm guessing that a nest has been made close by recently. I also find it unusual that all of the yellow jackets I've found are dead or near dead, I haven't actually seen any flying around.

This can be a problem for me as I'm allergic to bees (I swell up though, instead of having problems breathing). I don't think a spray would help me since I haven't found them living, but I also don't want them getting into the house anymore and causing problems since I do have pets that are inside during the day. Are there any pest traps that can be recommended for such a thing?

Old 07-13-11, 04:00 PM
P
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 109 Upvotes on 102 Posts
No traps. On the next warm, sunny day go outside of your house and patiently and thoroughly inspect by looking at every seam, corner, soffit, block wall, pipe/wire entry for yellow jacket activity. That will be the exterior entry/exit point. Treat into that, or get a friend to do it since you are allergic. The fact that you find them near windows could be more a function of the fact that they like sunlight and go to the windows after entering.

Do not plug the exterior entry point until the nest is inactive, otherwise they will all come into the house at once; lively and angry.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: