Rats have free admission

Old 07-16-11, 02:42 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Rats have free admission

Found 2 holes in the tool room which backs up to the bathroom. They walk along conduit near the ceiling and have widened the conduit holes so they could hang out in the wall. Filled the holes with steel wool. Success for 2 weeks.

Heard noises at night again and then found another hole in the tool room/bathroom wall. More steel wool. The saw a baby rat running in the garden at the base of the house. I traced his possible trail and found a 6x12 inch basement vent with a 2 bit fix on it. Dug away the junk former renters had shoved up against the opening.

Now I have some strong wire mesh and a thick plaster exterior wall with a 6"x12" basement vent which is free admission for los ratones. How do I attach the mesh to keep the critters out?

Old 07-16-11, 04:25 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Welcome to the forums!! Not seeing what you are fastening it to puts us at a disadvantage. Maybe you could post a picture or two (not closeups) so we can see what you see. http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...your-post.html

Old 07-17-11, 05:46 AM
P
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 109 Upvotes on 102 Posts
Not sure about the fastening, but you need to kill the rats. Even if you keep them out, and don't trap any inside, they are still in the area and around the perimeter. Likely eating neighborhood pet food, garden produce, bird seed, etc.

You can buy exterior bait stations and bait at Tractor Supply, on-line, feed/farm stores, etc. Try snap traps as well.

It sounds as if the former renters were battling this problem as well. Kill the rats.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: