Unknown bugs in house NEED help

Old 07-23-11, 11:13 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Unknown bugs in house NEED help

Within the last month proudly only sence the heatwave started we have had a bug issue in the house there have been many centipedes and a few I don't know they seem centralised in the living room (where I sleep) by the couch and the tv tho there have also been many in the foyer and dining room and a few in my moms room these are all carpeted rooms all connected carpet as well there is also a vent between the dining room and my moms room I have not seen any in the bathroom or kitchen

Apart from the centipedes there were these little round (side-side like worms kinda? But hard?) black bodied things with White bellies a black centipede looking thing (I had only seen orange/red) and a long black thing that was on my arm that I would guess measured something like 1x3-5 cm

The room was somewhat messy before we cleaned and I bombed it about 5 times with a raid all purpose spray the room is presently fairly clean (my seeds are boxed up in plastic containers my computer is on something not sitting right on the floor the tv and tables all have "stuff" on them and are somewhat organised there is a stack of books on the floor if that contributes? The house thermostat was also showing it was at 80 degrees (f) in the dining room if that helps any? There are also 2 outlets that don't have covers one not far from where the most recent bugs were found alive (the 4 kills were made right near it) in the living room there's also another in the foyer if that can help?

About all I know is pound them with the raid and they will eventually die

--did I mention one was on me? And I don't think I'll be able to sleep till I know there gone?

PLEASE help!

Old 07-24-11, 04:02 AM
W
Received 6 Upvotes on 6 Posts
I would buy the Raid bug bombs, not the stuff in a spray can. Put one in each room, light it off and leave for the day. If you use the bug bombs be sure to follow the directions.

There is an exterminator pro on the forum and he'll probably be able to give you better advice.

Old 07-24-11, 06:55 AM
Super Moderator
Received 84 Upvotes on 76 Posts
Had them in a old home I lived in. They were coming from the crawl space. I bombed it and they disappeared for a while but they always came back.

House centipede.

Mike NJ

Old 07-24-11, 09:20 AM
B
The one by the tv that I thought was black was actually a house one it looked (don't think I can upload pics from iPhone here? There's some on my Facebook if people can see? Marie zymbotica --I'm the only one trust me lol) there was another centipede in the kitchen last night about midghnight after I was freaking out over the bugs in here also something small black and round wasn't a daddy long legs legs nowhere near alike body was shorter in height but about same shape (have a pic of it up as well)

They seemed to "come back" about 4-5 hours after I brought my bag of cereal into the living room for about 3 hours while I was snacking on it (knock off honey grahams) it was sealed most of the time and sitting on an acryllic blanket on a polyester couch if that helps? Ihave taken a good look at the box and bag that have been on the counter and loosely "open" for about a week and nothing looks "odd" to me (trained art eyes I can spot stains most wouldn't ever see)

Could they somehow be coming from the basement? (I haven't seen any there tho? But there's plenty of hiding places and I'm never there) when I see these things (the white bellies) they seem to more/less stay in one place I haven't seen them "move" apart from wiggling when I tap them with my shoe

--should the cats be taken out of the house with us when we use bombs? Or will they know to find a safe area and stay there?

At like midghnight I sprinkled some crusshed garlic around the room (a vamp claims it's enough to keep them away?) then I killed anything I saw moving too (wasnt much but a previously thought White belly was still alive so was smashed 5 times with my shoe) at like 330a when I went to sleep I didn't notice anything new now at 1116 am I don't "think" I'm seeing any new ones

Previously before bombing all the ones we saw went into the shopvac that was emptied they kept coming back so I went nuts on the spray (bombing) and we vacuumed

--will the house being at 78 or 60 degrees make any difference in these things? In how many I find? Or should I just leave the thermostat at the hot muggy 78 that my rn mother seems to love so much?

Old 07-26-11, 05:23 AM
P
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 109 Upvotes on 102 Posts
Aerosol bombs kill only the exposed insects. Hiding in walls, underfurniture, etc will offer protection. You need a residual spray; meaning that when it dries there will be a residual chemical there that will eventually kill the crawling insects. This will be a water based spray, probably coming in a jug with a trigger at the end of a hose. Treat around the inside perimeter in and on the baseboard, and on the floor,carpet with inches of the baseboard. Centipedes love basements-if unfinished basement you should spray the heck out of it. It may be easier to buy a concentrate and mix it with water and use a compressed air sprayer. Talk to your local hardware or home-improvement people.
When using aerosols you need to protect the cats. Take them out or lock them in a bathroom (untreated). Using the water-based residual sprays will be safe with the cats present. Be careful around their food dish.

Outside your house you should use insecticide granules about 3' out from the house in a perimeter. Put granules heavily into any gap/opening where soil meets the foundation. Your results (or lack of) will guide you as to where to treat; in other words-on the job experience.

Old 07-26-11, 09:51 AM
B
We did the fogger bomb thing took the cats out with us had the meaner one in the cage the kinder one (was a stray as a kitten I got her as a kitten) had no issues with them running away

I havent seen any new bugs lately and my mom claims the exact thing kept centipedes away for like 5 years (but then she is inattentive as **** and really dosent seem to know what's "what" at times) she did NOT open our cabinets but thinks EVERYTHING needs to be washed and all food thrown out she says the fridge is "ok" tho with what it's storing my messy half re-done pretty pink girly as **** room with the chlothes stacked on top of the dresser are ok to wear? But tin foil used for shipping plants and paper bags used for shipping plants are no good and should be thrown out? --does this make sence to ANYONE? And she IS an rn! (trust me she is known as crapnav for a reason and it seems about DAILY if not more often then she does SOMETHING stupid!)

Old 07-26-11, 10:01 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,262 Upvotes on 1,203 Posts
I'm sorry but I have to request you start using more punctuation in your posts, they are difficult to read as-is.

Old 07-28-11, 05:10 AM
P
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 109 Upvotes on 102 Posts
The run-on sentences do not lend themselves to effective communication. I find them hard to read, hard to address, and time consuming. Please accept this as constructive criticism.

Old 07-28-11, 10:03 AM
J
I think Biyu0wolf is asking if items left out while the bug bombs were used are "safe" for future use.

Read the can. It'll tell you exactly how to use the product. If there are any further questions, call the customer service department - there is probably an 1-800 number on the can.

My personal opinion is that if there is any question about an items safety, throw it out. It's not worth being wrong.

Old 07-30-11, 04:29 PM
anything by "RAID" will cure your bug problems. trust me. bomb the house also.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: