ANTS not eating TERRO?

Old 09-04-11, 01:09 PM
S
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
ANTS not eating TERRO?

Hi,
I've used Terro for carpenter ants per this site's advice in the Spring and it worked wonders! Now, I have tiny brown ?sugar ants? that have randomly invaded my whole house- though more concentrated in kitchen & bathroom. Problem is- they rarely seem to eat from the Terro liquid I've put around0 even when i put right where i see them coming out from the woodwork, etc. (i'm a little limited with their paths-as i have a dog). But I put inside the kitchen cabinet where i can SEE them coming out of a pipe entrance through the back and they just walk right past it! Same in the bathroom- and there's no food in there so WHY are they in there?
They just don't seem "attracted" to it now. (I even mixed a little honey in once and nada!) I'd appreciate any advice. I understand the bait concept- just not how to entice these particular tiny brown ants to dine.
I'm in Boston- not sure if they may be gone w/first frost- but sure they'll be back... I will say the 1st day I put it down- some ate it- then they stopped...(do they know?) They come out in force for my dog's kibble if he spills on the floor- it's astounding how fast too!Should I begin to just KILL them?
thanks!
debbie

Old 09-05-11, 07:29 AM
P
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 109 Upvotes on 102 Posts
Throughout the year ants will eat either protein or carbohydrates based on their particular biological needs. Your guys appear to be in a protein feeding mode as they reject the carbo based bait and go for dogfood. There are ant bait stations that have both protein and carbs as a matrix for the toxicant. You probably know better than to spray insecticide anywhere near the bait as it will repel. I don’t know any brand names offhand, but it will be something like “dual choice”, “double choice”, etc. You might try a gel bait as well. They come in plastic syringes. Look for an active ingredient named: Abathor/abamectin/avermectin. One of those three; they are the same; an insecticide derived from a soil fungus. It is protein based.

If your house has a basement under the kitchen, place a bait station(s) on top of foundation wall underneath the kitchen. Stations will be 10-12 inches away from kitchen and undisturbed making it a good location.

Old 09-05-11, 08:45 PM
S
not eating Terro

Hi PAbugman,
Thanks for interesting feeding info. I'm really annoyed. It began with their eating a package of COOKIES that had a hole in the box! (so much for the carb thing maybe?) But could be the situation with the bathroom ones? I don't have a basement but a crawlspace that scares the hell out of me.
I guess I could just leave a huge tray of stuff down there then get OUT FAST. (i literally suit up in my brother's hazmat outfit!) it's small & nasty down there- i have to change the furnace filter anyways...I can get to under the sink area. Some seem to be coming from those pipes! Bathroom's only 2 doors down. Last year I recall a very brief stint with them on some honey- equally "Amityville Horror" like~ but they just disappeared after I cleaned. (does Vinegar really repel them?)
I will try the baits you recommended AND continue with the Terro and put BOTH in the crawlspace. (it won't draw MORE insects- will it?) THAT would be AWFUL. I can't stand looking DOWN and randomly seeing a LONE ant wandering around the hardwood floors- I'm killing THEM as I know they're unlikely to have been anywhere near the bait...but interestingly my dog's kibble is a high protein brand (no starch) as he has allergies. I don't know if that matters- but would fit into your theory. (I have a feeling a Chips A'Hoy cookie might do the same thing though) And that's ACROSS the kitchen near front door. I have a few ants out there so after the rain will put some stuff outside too...it's a pia!
(again- worried its gonna attract NEW bugs though- huh???)
Lord- I hate this and knowing it's somewhat "ongoing" is a real bummer! I still haven't put much back in the cabinet- still have stuff in ziplock bags in a bin! I look like I'm going camping!!! deb

Old 09-06-11, 09:48 AM
P
Forum Topic Moderator
You won’t draw in any insects that aren’t already there. Don’t kill them mechanically when you are baiting them. We want them to feed uninhibited and to take it back to the nest. Most of the ants never leave the nest but are fed by foragers. The bait works very slowly, otherwise it would kill the foragers before they spread the bait to the nest.

Since they appear quickly near the dog dish we know that this would be a good location. Is there any way that you can secure a station to the floor, or build a barrier overtop? Another strategy would be to use the gel behind the baseboard. You can use a knife or similar tool to lift the baseboard slightly to inject the gel. If carpeted up to the baseboard, pull up the edge of carpet and inject under baseboard. Sometimes I’ve been able to simply push the syringe tip between the carpet and baseboard and inject into sub-flooring. If there is an electrical outlet nearby, take off the plate and try to inject into the wall void under neath or beside the outlet. Drilling a hole for the syringe tip near the top of baseboard is another strategy. Strategywise, we want to make it very easy for them to find. Make multiple locations as well.

Old 09-08-11, 03:36 PM
S
terrible terro

well, i got ya there as I did slide some of the "cards" with the Terro under the baseboard and checked with a flashlight and NO ANTS, no takers by the dog dish unless there's a piece of kibble anywhere near the wall! Then there's several. I don't get it unless as you say they just aren't drawn to this right now? I plan to buy what you suggested over the weekend and HOPE for the best. I'll stop killing the random ones but I don't think they're eating any bait. (i even resorted to using a toothpick and placing some directly onto a couple ants to see what would happen) I presume they walked it "home" but not sure if that works or if they have to eat it? Oh and the "mint teabag" thing i read about DOESN'T work! I put a couple in the cabinet and still see an ant or 2 wanderng around looking... (and yes, walking right past the Terro). Smells nice in there though~

Old 09-09-11, 08:22 AM
P
Forum Topic Moderator
Definitely get some protein bait for them. Also for future Terro use-they now make a plastic bait station that requires peeling off a plastic strip to open up station of liquid bait. It is possible to spiil it, though. It is much more user friendly, although I like your idea of sliding the little tabs under baseboard. You’re getting in tune with these guys and what you need to do! You just need different tools. Be persistent-this happens to us, too.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: