HELP! Found Carpenter Ant Colony! Now what?

Old 09-12-11, 06:54 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Exclamation HELP! Found Carpenter Ant Colony! Now what?

Hi,

After living in the same home for over 5 years, we started seeing carpenter ants in our kitchen for the first time, and in increasing numbers each day (or night) over the past week (started after hurricane Irene passed through CT). I read several forum posts and links to other articles but need some more help.

Tonight with a flashlight, I followed the trail of carpenter ants out of my house, down my deck, across the yard, and actually found the colony in a willow tree. Now that I've discovered the colony (and their path between the house and the tree), what's the best action?

I read in one article to use Sevin dust on the colony, but the Sevin label says: "To kill ants (except pharaoh and carpenter ants)". It seems like I must have a big advantage in finding the colony and the path they're taking to the house, but I want to do it right. What steps and products should I use?

Thanks,

MikeFromCT

Sponsored Links
Old 09-13-11, 02:31 PM
P
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 24 Votes on 22 Posts
Any residual insecticide should work on a tree. I advise Termidor for the ext of a house, and it works on trees very well too. If you bought a concentrate that you mix with water that has bifenthrin as the active ingredient and spray the trunk at least to your height as well as approx 3 around base of tree you will get good results. Try to find and treat into cracks, crevices, voids in the tree. You will use 1 to 3 gallons of water based spray at the most. continue checking the tree and re-treat as needed. Would hurt to do the house perimeter, both low and high to the extent you can with bifenthrin. Bifenthrin can be bought in the big box stores, Termidor would have to be on line.