Stink Bug Zapper

Old 09-30-11, 07:34 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Stink Bug Zapper

I have had a terrible infestation of stink bugs. I've done extensive research and have tried many methods with limited success. I say limited success only because I haven't killed every single one in existence today.
To my question. As they are already attracted to a certain side of my house, I want to build a large flat bug zapper to place in that area. Maybe even mount it over a light source for night time, I'm not certain.
I'm thinking 12"x48". Two pieces of 1/2" rat wire separated by 1/2" of plywood around the edge. I need a step up transformer in the 2000-4000 volt range, I'm not certain yet. The only things I can think of are a fence charger, an ignition coil from a mower or a welder.
Anybody have any other ideas? I don't think a welder is going to be much good because it is too much. The ignition coil is probably too small.

Old 10-01-11, 07:21 AM
P
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 110 Upvotes on 103 Posts
My electrical theory is weak, to put it mildly. I will offer that they are attracted to the warmth of your house. Could it be warmer on that particular side? I’m betting that it is. They will need to be attracted into your zapper by a more appealing warmth, otherwise they will go where it is more attractive and convenient. During daylight I think the difference in temp between your house and trap will be minimal, thus less drawing power. At nighttime the temp difference will be greater and more attractive. I’m just thinking out loud coupled with some knowledge. I’m interested in hearing your results as you progress.

Old 10-01-11, 09:22 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Yes, it is warmer on that side of the house. I figured it was the warmth that attracts them in the afternoon but at night, it's the light. I have stood on the landing at the top of the stairs and watched as a squadron of maybe a dozen as they flew across the parking lot. They will change direction and make a beeline right for the wall behind me. It's weird to watch.
So, I agree, the zapper does have to be a bit warmer than the wall so I was going to build the thing so that it fits over a 2x4 fluorescent fixture assuming of course I can come up with the right sized step up transformer.
I am going up to Tractor Supply today and getting a fence charger to see how that works unless somebody can come up with a better idea.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: