How are flies getting in my 3-season porch?

Old 10-15-11, 09:21 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
How are flies getting in my 3-season porch?

I have hundreds of house flies in my stand alone, 3-season porch. All of the windows and doors (Anderson double hung, if that matters) are kept closed all week and on the weekend there are hundreds of dead, lethargic flies. We never have mice or anything else, just flies. We built it ourselves and so I know it is well insulated. It has Cobra ridge vent which is supposed to prevent flies but I suspect it may be the culprit. If so, what do I do? Any other thoughts on how they could get in?

Old 10-15-11, 04:06 PM
J
Here in rural Ontario we have what are called Cluster flies, it sounds like your problem. This time of year they like to overwinter in walls and attics of structures. I've seen some homes get them by the thousands.

An exterior residual treatment around windows, doors, soffit areas and any other cracks and crevices does a good job keeping them out.

Good luck,

Jay

Old 10-18-11, 06:24 AM
S
Thanks! I will give it a try

Old 10-19-11, 04:39 AM
P
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 109 Upvotes on 102 Posts
I believe the cluster fly diagnosis will be correct. Try to get the residual chemical into the wall voids, possibly thru hardware openings, cracks and crevices, even if it means slowly letting it run in.

Some choices of “active ingredients”:
Lambda-cyhalothrin
cyfluthrin
bifenthrin
deltamethrin

These are concentrates that you will mix with water. I would apply spring, summer, fall, maybe several times in the fall. Also good to treat the exterior and perimeter of house in general. A back pack sprayer can be helpful.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: