How to set a rat snap trap

Old 03-13-12, 04:26 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
How to set a rat snap trap

I have noticed small rats, about 5 to 6 inches long, feeding on the sunflower seeds that escape the birds at the feeder adjacent to my house. I have caught a couple of them using a standard rat (snap) trap baited with cheese, however, they get the cheese more often than not.

Since this is my first experience trapping rats, Ithought it would be a good idea to ask for guidance as to how to secure the bait to the trap. Any help will be greatly appreciated.....thanks

Old 03-13-12, 05:31 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Press the cheese securely around the flat part of the trigger. If you just lay it on there, they will get it and not trip the trap. Technically the SECOND mouse gets the cheese.

Old 03-13-12, 06:16 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
Peanut butter is harder to get off then cheese.

Old 03-14-12, 05:09 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,144 Upvotes on 1,920 Posts
I don't like just placing traps in the open. It's too easy to catch something unintentionally like the neighbors cat. I put a sturdy box made of wood or metal over the trap. Cut some holes at the ends of the box big enough for your rats to enter. They love the dark protected space. Make sure the box is big enough that a cat's arm cannot reach through the hole and get caught on the trap. Then weight the box down so it's not easily moved by animals. I don't know if it's the combination of the dark hiding place that draws rats & mice in or if because it's covered birds cannot steal the bait but I have better success with the box than with the trap out in the open. And, once you have the box built you can put the sticky pad traps inside. I have not found anything that can escape them and there is no bait to steal.

Old 03-14-12, 05:32 PM
P
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 109 Upvotes on 102 Posts
Tying the bait onto the trigger works well for rats and mice. If using peanut butter, tie a small piece of cotton onto trigger then smear the peanut butter on it. When they bite, their little rear end belongs to you. If the cheese is hard enough you could tie it on with dental floss or sewing thread. Bacon is a terrific bait for rats, but as Pilot Dane points out it will attract non-targets.

I’ve also heard of ant colonies and roaches eating bait off of triggers given enough time.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: