Mice in Cabin Stove -- how to make the space threatening?

Old 03-26-12, 03:06 PM
O
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Mice in Cabin Stove -- how to make the space threatening?

All,

I have a classic problem of mice in, around, and through the stove in my cabin. I leave the stove with the back panels off, door open, drawer out, burners out, et al to make the space as little mouse-friendly as possible. Given their past persistence and the appeal of the insulation I do not expect this to succeed. They have ruined one stove and are well on the way to trashing a nice old harvest gold GE coil stove by peeing in the insulation. I'll spare you the details on the results when trying to cook.

I have launched into an increasingly lethal eradication program with many mice done away with (not my preference), but when you're only in a space 4 times a year its nearly impossible to fully do away with the colony.

I am wondering if a battery powered sonic pest deterrent, if placed literally on the stove, would be effective. If anyone has suggestions regarding effective brands, or whether they are not, I would appreciate it. I do leave power running on one ckt up there for the dehumidifier so could also do a corded one.

Also, I was wondering if anyone knew of a spray snake smell, I was also thinking about putting a rubber snake behind the stove, and wondered if it would be more effective if it smelled like one.

Any input appreciated, and thanks. I really don't want to give up another stove, and they'd just do in a third one at this rate.

George

Old 03-26-12, 03:35 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
George, the insulation is a primary factor, as well as any food particles left in the oven/stove area when you leave. I am sure you clean it up pretty good, however.
One of the electronic deterrent things may work, but I have never used them. I promote the promulgation of rat snakes at my location, but it may not be practical for you. Your lethal method may work, just be careful if it involves poison that is lethal to second generation animals such as hawks, cats, etc.

Old 03-26-12, 03:42 PM
O
Hi Larry, thanks for the response, I don't personally mind the rat snakes but the wife does. The cabin is in a very wild area and I have discontinued poison due to the potential cascade effects you mention. We are fastidious about cleaning up any food residue.

Old 03-26-12, 04:28 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
I couldn't resist....by buddy. He lives at our rental cabin, and keeps things in check up there. Visitors don't seem to mind.

[IMG][/IMG]

Old 03-26-12, 04:53 PM
O
Thats pretty neat chandler, and I bet very effective too

Old 03-27-12, 03:56 AM
P
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 109 Upvotes on 102 Posts
Love the snake photo Chandler. We live in harmony with snakes as well; even see a rattlesnake now and then. We don’t even tell our neighbors as they want them dead.

The sonic repellers don’t work at all; Never heard of a snake smell; a fake snake won’t have any effect at all. There are multiple catch mouse traps-look at the “tin cat” style. Don’t get the wind up traps, get the non-mechanical. Also, have you looked on line at the “bucket traps”? Real diy traps. Trouble with both styles is you will have a mess of dead rodents to deal with, but they will be in one location at least. Even then, they will still get in the stove to some extent.

If you want to try a repellent I’ve wondered if bobcat, coyote, fox, urine such as available in trapping supply houses would help. These urines are very powerful and pungent though, maybe too much.

Old 03-27-12, 06:55 AM
O
I like the idea of the bucket trap but I can only imagine residue at the bottom of the bucket after 3 months

Regarding the sonic traps, is the issue that they don't work at all, or don't work outside a very small radius? If the latter, I wonder if it might not be a solution if the speaker is put directly in contact with the metal shell of the stove. The resonance of the frequency inside the stove may make the nesting experience very unpleasant indeed (envisioning alarm clock from mouse h3ll, or an MRI ) if the frequencies are actually unpleasant to the critters.

Thanks for the sounding board and feedback folks!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: