Ant Problem, Advise on non chemical way of getting rid of them...

Old 04-28-12, 12:09 AM
E
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Ant Problem, Advise on non chemical way of getting rid of them...

Hi everyone

For the last few weeks i have had a very bad ant problem, first time i saw them they were hiding under the mop in the kitchen, there were tons of them, i hoovered them up and cleared the bag, placed in bin outside. i then rubbed vinagre on the floor..
I have them in my livingroom on the windowsil, there are again back in the kitchen.
I found some gaps along the scirtings in all rooms downstairs that i see them running into so i filled them...Every morning i wake up i find about 50 of them in the kettle, some dead some not..I have placed pepper all over the gaps in the kitchen but there still coming in from somewhere....
I have a baby thats at crawling age only 8 mths, dog, 4 yr old...obv its not suitable for me to spray chemicals and chuck powder all over the floor for the safety of them....
Im not really sure what to do, the house is old and in the kitchen there are gaps everywhere due to poor maitience around scirtings and seals in windows....

My landlord said ants are my responsability but im at my wits end with it...

Old 04-28-12, 04:58 AM
Group Moderator
Received 247 Upvotes on 199 Posts
One word - Terro. Comes in an orange box:

Ant Problem? Terro = Ant Control Solutions

You'll be ant-free within days and it's safe to use.

The directions tell you to cut up pieces of the box to dribble the bait liquid on, but I usually use small pieces of aluminum foil. Either one works, but don't put it directly on surfaces because it eventually dries (if the ants leave any of it) and gets stuck to the surface. If you are going to put it in out-of-the-way places you don't necessarily have to put it on the cardboard/foil. You can, for instance, dribble or squirt it into cracks in the flooring or similar hidden locations.

Old 04-28-12, 06:44 AM
P
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 109 Upvotes on 102 Posts
Great advice from Tow-Guy. That’s what I was going to say-guess I need to get up earlier (but it’s Saturday)!

The liquid and gel baits work well on the small ants, very iffy on larger ants.

Don’t spray or use strong cleaners anywhere near the bait as you will contaminate the bait or at least repel the ants from that area. In other words, you will be working against yourself.

Terro also makes a user friendly liquid-bait station. Look for it as it is better all around than the original method.

Old 04-30-12, 06:59 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,262 Upvotes on 1,203 Posts
Terro is what I use as well and it's pretty easy to put it in places the kid and dog can't access.

Old 05-19-12, 06:46 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Try canola oil. It's a GMO'd crop derived from rapeseed, its erucic acid removed for use in food. But rapeseed is a natural pesticide, and canola is still toxic to insects. I had three ant hills that are now very much reduced in activity. The oil probably didn't reach the entire colony.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: