bed bugs

Old 09-03-12, 06:31 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
bed bugs

I searched but didn't find anything on the subject. Wifey is staying in motels and residences on a trip out west and one hotel (3 star) obviously had a bed bug problem. She had a rash across her shoulders and called management who had their maintenance people confirm there were bed bugs. They moved her and treated her room.
Now she is in a residence out in nowhere NM and is petrified that she will have them again, and transfer them to our daughter's house when we group together mid Sept.
Is there anything but pyrethrins that can be used to rid bed bugs? She is organic, so you know what chemicals pose in her brain. I just want to get her a product that will work, or ease her mind with information. Thanks in advance for your help.

Old 09-03-12, 08:18 AM
P
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 43 Votes on 37 Posts
http://www.ca.uky.edu/entomology/ent...tpdf/ef636.pdf

Bed Bugs | Pesticides | US EPA

The first link is by Prof. Michael Potter, University of Kentucky. He has been the foremost guy on bed bugs. There are other good guys too. Austin Frishman is another. The second link is EPA info. Search the web for Potter and see what else he wrote. Scan them for the parts that will pertain to your situation. Much of his stuff is technical but he also writes for travelers. You just have to keep going thru his stuff.

Natural pyrethrins will do next to nothing for bed bugs. Don’t waste time, money and resource on them.

We like to make a tank mix of:

Temprid and Gentrol; or Transport and Gentrol; or Zenprox and Gentrol;

It takes a lot of chemical per room treated. All the training we’ve had about reducing chemical treatment goes out the window with bedbugs. Sometimes I use a 2.5 gal back pack sprayer for a 3 room apt. If any bigger I bring the concentrates with me and refill in the bathroom. Then usually monthly treatments are needed for a while, based on follow up inspections and reports from tenants/homeowners.

Hope this helps.

Old 09-03-12, 08:44 AM
Yeah, it helps. Gives me a starting point. How 'bout the residual smell of the spray you incorporate in your treatment. Does it dissipate quickly or do you have to treat the room as a hazmat contamination area???

Old 09-03-12, 08:59 AM
P
Forum Topic Moderator
Initially the odor is strong but dissipates quickly. Windows and doors can be open for this kind of treatment. The “hazmat” experience will be when traveling and using 3 mil bags as containment/barriers, living out of the same bags,isolating luggage in bathtub and such, insect moats placed under bedframe legs, upon return transfering laundry immediately from bags to washer/dryer, etc.

Working with and living with bedbugs is remindful of how we protect ourselves against communicable disease. Diligence and discipline.

Old 09-03-12, 09:10 AM
For the most part she is leaving her clothes in her car in the hot sun, and only retrieves what she will be wearing for the next shift, hung up in the shower, so that is good. So far, no problem at the residence she is at now, but that experience at the uppity hotel scared her pretty good, and now she is fixated on it. Good articles, too. Page 5&6 of the UKy article will zero her in on what to do, I think. I like the little "moats" on the bedframe. Guess they work. Thanks again for the responses, and I'll post back if she encounters a problem.

Old 09-14-12, 02:26 PM
Welcome to the forums, Kartex!! Follow the links PAbugman listed in post #2. I found them quite interesting. You'll be able to tell if you have bedbugs or not. Look in the seams of your mattress around the rim for starters. Of course in a new apartment, the PO may have had pets and you are getting bit by fleas. Same type skin problem.

Old 09-14-12, 03:03 PM
P
Forum Topic Moderator
In general, fleas bites are from ankles to knees, or at least for the most part. Bedbug bites can and will be from feet to shoulders, especially on the side that you lay on. If you sleep flat on your back, then they will be on the side closest to the edge of the bed, unless a very narrow bed, then both sides. Did you bring your own furniture/beds with you? Keep us posted. I’m out of town starting tonight and much of Saturday.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: