ants in kitchen

Old 09-17-12, 08:11 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
ants in kitchen

Hello,

Our kitchen sink is infested with ants. Initially it was the small "sugar" ants but now we even get the fire yard ants. We have tried all of the conventional gels, traps, etc.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

JB

Old 09-18-12, 05:36 AM
P
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 44 Votes on 38 Posts
The baits work slowly. Did the ants accept the baits at all? Did anyone spray an insecticide during the baiting period? If so, that is counter productive to baiting strategy as it ruins the bait and disrupts the feeding patterns and behaviors of the ants.

When I spray for ants I use non-repellent sprays. Indoors we like Phantom (brand name); outdoors we like Fipronil (active ingredient, many brand names).

When baiting, the more locations of stations that you have, the better. It must be kept fresh; when an ant infestation occurs you want new stations, and plenty of them in various locations.

Im not familiar with all the southern ant species. It could help to know what species they are, and if it is one of the kind that has very large colonies. Keep us posted.

Old 09-18-12, 05:39 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 98 Votes on 86 Posts
Patience is required with ants, do not expect them to be gone overnight.

Bugman steered you right.

Old 09-18-12, 05:06 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Ant overload

Thanks guys,

Patience was key. I am already seeing a significant decrease in the amount of ants.

Appreciate the help,

JB

Old 09-19-12, 05:45 AM
P
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 44 Votes on 38 Posts
Donít be surprised if you get another swarm or two; keep fresh bait avaiable for a while yet. Sometimes this is how it works. Baiting is better than spraying, if they are accepting the bait, as it will get to the colony and get spread around. Baits are low in toxicity so that the foragers donít die before they can get it back to the colony. It is a delayed effect. You may go through this again next season yet.

Old 09-19-12, 06:40 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 98 Votes on 86 Posts
I'm with bugman again on this point - ants are everywhere, they will be back at some point but now you know how to deal with them.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: