What Are These.....and How Do I Get Rid of Em' 4Good

Old 11-21-12, 06:34 PM
V
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
What Are These.....and How Do I Get Rid of Em' 4Good

Hi - In Northeast Ohio over the last month these bugs are getting into my manufactured home.

It seems they are coming in through / around a bay window, their appearance is only in this area.

They are very tiny, move rather slowly and do not fly. I've attached a few pictures, including some close ups.

I've tried Ortho brand Home Defense Max, outside the window and inside on the window seal. Although it kills them, in a couple days more seem to appear.

Any idea what they are??? Any long term solutions??

Thanks in Advance!!!

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 9406
Size:  29.9 KB

Views: 8955
Size:  11.8 KB

Views: 8910
Size:  37.4 KB

Sponsored Links
Old 11-22-12, 06:42 AM
P
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 31 Votes on 28 Posts
Do a search for “drugstore beetle” and “cigarette beetle”. I think it is one of these. It is hard to ID stored product pests from a photo sometimes as there are slight differences. It appears from your photo that the head is very turned down and almost under the body. That is significant in ID’ing these guys if this is in fact the case. Maybe you can look at them with a magnifier and have the photos on the computer to compare.

When you search for them, go to the Penn State link for sure, as well as any others that you like. Ohio State and U of Ky are always good agronomic/entomologic sites.

Do you have any dried flowers, arrangements, animal mounts/hides, feathers, etc in the immediate area? Dried fruit arrangements, etc? I’ve seen these decorations cause the problem you are having. Pet food/bird seed (food)?

It will take “detective” work to find what they are coming from. That is the sure way to solve the problem. Identifying the insect is an important first step. Be aware that I could be wrong about the drugstore/cigareete beetle idea but start there. Keep us posted with what you find.

Old 11-23-12, 05:20 AM
V
Thanks!!!

Hi,
Thanks for your reply. Visually.... I agree they look like drugstore beetles. The problem is, I can't find the food source. Could a pile of dead weeds be the source?

The strange (perhaps) thing was, they showed up in numbers on the windowsill in the living room. I saw an article about wood borers (a different type of beetle) - that said this was a characteristic sign of them.

Now that the holiday is over, I'll start looking for a food source.
Thanks!!

Alex

Old 11-24-12, 07:34 AM
P
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 31 Votes on 28 Posts
They just don’t look like the wood-boring beetles (powder post beetles) to me but we have to keep the possibility open. These are adult stage beetles; if they are ppb’s then there will be small pin holes in the wood that they emerged from.

I’m still leaning towards stored product pests. Check the room thoroughly for the materials that I described earlier starting near the window and then moving away. They may be attracted to the light from the window so stay near that window when searching. I doubt they came in from outside, especially weeds.

Are they still showing up? If you can get them identified positively then we will be pointed in the right direction for a resolution. Simply spraying won’t stop their emergence from whatever the source is. Consider going to a county extension office or equivalent. Here in Pa it would be a Penn State extension office. I’m anxious to find out what these guys are.

Old 12-01-12, 05:51 PM
V
Hi,
First let me say Thanks again. I have some better pictures.
I agree they don't look like wood borers - but really there's NO FOOD, in the corner of the house where they show up on the window seals.

In the kitchen area we've seen only one or two, whereas on the window sills we've seen dozens. When we sprayed some ?? they don't come out for a day or so, then a couple days later they come back out.

Here's some better pictures:
Thanks Again!!

Old 12-01-12, 05:55 PM
V
NEW PICTURES - of Mystery Beetles

Hi Here's some new pictures. These guys have been dead a day at this point.

Name:  bugs-02.jpg
Views: 9759
Size:  21.1 KB

Name:  bugs-04.jpg
Views: 8436
Size:  19.4 KB

Name:  bugs-05.jpg
Views: 8513
Size:  26.5 KB

Name:  bugs-06.jpg
Views: 52338
Size:  17.0 KB

Name:  bugs-01.jpg
Views: 32103
Size:  24.7 KB

Old 12-02-12, 07:35 AM
T
drug store beetle

Is this what you are seeing? You have pictures that show them as brown and as black. I think this is due to the camera.

Old 12-02-12, 03:49 PM
V
Hi,
To be honest, it does look like your picture.....the best I can tell. They are a dark brown or coco color, but there's NO FOOD SOURCE in the corner of the house where they're found? At least none that I know of.

After the larvae hatch, how far will the adult beetles travel? The kitchen is at least 12 feet away, and there's absolutely no trail.

An entymologyst (spelling?) from OSU thought they were false powderpost beetles, but I think those are larger.

Confounded in Cleveland

Old 12-02-12, 05:52 PM
V
The Picture Looks Right....but....

Thanks again so much for you research and work,
Somebody from the Ohio State University Extension office suggested it might be a false powerpost beetle, not a drugstore beetle.

See the attached picture...... they look SO SIMILAR!!????

It's so important because the treatment is totally different.

Thanks Again!!

Name:  extension-info.jpg
Views: 8438
Size:  41.7 KB